Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can 5 point harnesses be mounted to the floor, i think i remember seeing that guy on trucks doing it to project wildhorse. I have a 94 YJ, i plan down the road to have a full cage in which the seats are mounted to the cage, then im going to mount the harness to the cage. For the time being, my 5 point seats are mounted to the stock seat brackets and those are mounted to the floor. I know the rule if the seats are mounted to the cage, the harness has to be mounted to the cage in case of seperation from the body, etc... Now the only issue i see is the the shoulder straps right now. Can i mount those to the floor? Or, do i need to mount them to the roll bar since the roll bar is currently only mounted to the tub? But then if the bar seperates from the tub that could cause a problem with the seat being mounted to the tub.

If i mount this to the tub, i will be reinforcing the mounts with wider flat sections of steel to strengthing the mount as opposed to just putting the bolt through the floor.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
If your rollbar separates from the tub in a rollover, you will have a lot more on your mind than whether the shoulder harnnesses are tied to it. Run the shoulder straps to the rollbar just below your shoulder (I like the upper nipple area, but that is just personal preference :naughty: ), and make sure your roll bar/cage is solidly mounted.

Just an aside, but most 5 point harnesses are not legal for the street, and I dopubt you will be using the shoulder harnesses very often if you adjust them correctly.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya my roll bar/cage is mounted good, i was just bring it up for argument sake about mounting to it. So, by mounting to my upper nipple area wouldnt that entail me adding another bar to my stock cage?

My jeep isnt a Daily Driver, its mainly offroad and weekend cruiser. So, out of curiosity what would be the big deal with driving with the 5 point harness on the street, besides it not being legal. Im not sure i understand how something designed to be safer could not be better or legal for that matter on the road.

·
AKA GreyShrink
521 Posts
The shoulder straps of a 5-point harness system should never be mounted more than 3 inches below the top of the shoulders. If they are mounted lower than that, such as on the floor, then there is a greatly increased liklihood of spinal cord compression during a roll-over or heavy impact. Even a "whoop-de-do" of a couple of feet can cause serious spinal cord injury with low-mounted shoulder sraps. Such injuries are usually permanent.

The best place to mount the shoulder harnesses is to a cross bar (often called a harness bar) that runs between the roll bars behind he seats. In that type of application, the straps are secured to the harness bar using a double loop attachment.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
No Federal Certification for crash testing. Also, most 5 point harnesses have a "best by" date, which means the webbing and stitching will rot over time.

If you were just mounting the harness to your upper nipple area, a couple somple peircings would do the trick, but to mount the harnesses to the rollbar in the area directly behind you at that height, you would need to add a cross bar to your main hoop.

Most people I see with 5 points (actually, you really don't need the anti submarine strap, so 4 is enough unless you are desert/SODA racing) hardly ever use the shoulder harnesses at all since if they are adjusted correctly, you really can't move much in your seat.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you were just mounting the harness to your upper nipple area, a couple somple peircings would do the trick, but to mount the harnesses to the rollbar in the area directly behind you at that height, you would need to add a cross bar to your main hoop.

Most people I see with 5 points (actually, you really don't need the anti submarine strap, so 4 is enough unless you are desert/SODA racing) hardly ever use the shoulder harnesses at all since if they are adjusted correctly, you really can't move much in your seat.

im going for the piercings first thing tomorrow morning:rock:

Im confused by the last part of your comment "Most people i know hardly ever use shoulder harnesses at all since if they are adjusted correctly"?

They dont use them because it doesnt allow them to move around in the seat, while wheeling?

·
589 Fabrication
3,548 Posts
They dont use them because it doesnt allow them to move around in the seat, while wheeling?
exactly..because depending on the vehicle it makes it hard to reach like the shifter and in a manual car it makes shifting a bitch. Also they take like 5 minutes to put on and get all situated, and by then everyone else is already on the trail.

·
build it break it learn
347 Posts
No Federal Certification for crash testing. Also, most 5 point harnesses have a "best by" date, which means the webbing and stitching will rot over time.

I use four points on my new seat tied to a harness bar and they take alot less time than a five to put on and yes if put on correctly you wont be able to move around much. Works great for holding my six year old in the seat though cause he always falls asleep while wheeling if we aren't doing hard trails :nana: .
shoulder bar

seat frame can be removed

If you have seat belt holes in your seat they are to be mounted 3" to 4" below the openings according to the instructions and I use double shear tabs as well

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
...and I use double shear tabs as well
Nothing at all wrong with being too safe :thumb:

I like to cut out the tab and bolt and just use wrap around harnesses. Just another option

I wear my 4-points on most trails. Just depends on the likely hood we are going to go over. I'll wear just the lap belts sometimes.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,955 Posts
Anyone got pics of a design that would work for front and rear seat? A bar running across at the height required would make entrance/exit very difficult for the rear seat.

thanks

·
build it break it learn
347 Posts
Anyone got pics of a design that would work for front and rear seat? A bar running across at the height required would make entrance/exit very difficult for the rear seat.

thanks
yes it does make it more difficult however I think saftey over comfort might apply here if a harness is really what you want.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts

thanks
I'd probably look at something like making a V behind the seats. Or make it inverted like Monkeyevil's but going to the 'B' pillar instead of going to the rear bars. That'd give you some space to climb thru to the rear seat while still giving your cage some triangulation and a place to mount the shoulder harness.

Like this instead of the horizontal bar. But then again, if you run seats with belt openings won't be able to tilt the seatback forward to get to the back anyway. I guess you could always climb between the seats.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Cant you simply mount the belts to the seat itself? Like through the holes and then down the 3 inches or so and bolt to the seat? or even have some kind of bar pin they loop around on the backside of the seat.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,266 Posts
heck just take a chain, bolt it to each side than wrap the belt around the chain... :thumb:

haha i'm only kidding.

I'm glad you brought this topic up as I would like to add harnesses... i have the mastercraft rubicon seats so they already have the holes for them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.