Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has an 06 f-150 4x4 with the electric shift transfercase. it is a 5.4 triton and an auto tranny, now the question is when I try to engage the 4 wheel drive all I get when I get on the gas is a whirling sound?? best way to describe it I guess, not a grinding noise or a clunk just sounds more like metal on metal sound but not scraping sound,at any rate the front wheels have no power going to them but I am sure the transfercase is engaged. Any I ideas as to a cause and solution???? there are no noises from the front end in 2 wheel drive.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
1996 Ford Bronco 5.8 4X4
13,142 Posts
If the drive shaft is spinning, and the cv shafts are not then either you have a blown front diff, or there is something that kicks the front diff in, im not sure how those ones work.

·
3,591 Posts
i remember hearing something about having auto hubs in the front of these fords, they were electronic or magnetic or something. that's all i know if that helps

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
You need to have someone sit in the truck an move it so you can see what is spinning.

If the front driveshaft is spinning it could be a hub issue. The hubs use vac. to disengage them, when no vac. is applied they lock to the cv shafts.

Get the front off the ground and spin the tires by hand, you should be able to see if the hubs are locked or not.

·
atv rider
6,556 Posts
ya the hubs on those suck i did a wheel bearing on one last week (first time looking at the design) it has a vacuum connect to each hub on the back side of the vacuum plate ... check there they tend to pop off easy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.