Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first car last winter after all the gas hikes. Well i am really regretting it now after a summer of not being able to take my boat to the lake, and now i had to call a buddy to get my deer out of the woods. Thats not mentioning the almost mile i have to walk to get to my tree stand.

I was wondering what any of you guys ideas where.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
i had a 97 tj auto 4.0 i sold for a fuel efficient 05 SAAB 93. If i would have done the math i never would have sold it because i only saved about $1200 a year by doubling my fuel economy from 15-16 with the jeep to 29-30 (both combined driving) with the saab. actually take the time to calculate how many miles you drive and the actual savings over a year, prob not as great as you thought (I was dissapointed, no, pissed i got rid of my jeep for $1200 a year, not to mention the intangibles you noted). But you live and you learn ( i should have done the math before i got all hot and heavy in MPG. Now i am selling the car and have another jeep. when it comes down to it unless your driving a lot more than average it will take years to see any significant savings. especially if you have to spend money to get into something more fuel efficient. KEEP THE JEEP :beerbang::beerbang:

EDIT: jsut get the 4.0 stick you only save about 600 bucks per year MAX vs the 2.5 at $3.5 per gal and getting 17 mpg with teh 4.0 vs 22 mpg with 2.5 ( i did the math based on 250 miles weekly for a buddy who wanted a 4 banger for MPG, not worth it in my opinion)

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
I'd be surprised to see 22mpg average out of a 2.5L 5-speed TJ...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i currently own a 2005 taurus and i get about 24 mpg with that and you are saying your 30 mpg saab only saved you 1200 a year. So trading my car for a jeep id only be spending 1000 or so more a year. Not to mention the fact that id still be able to do everything that i couldnt do with my car. Sounds pretty good to me

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In your guys opinion what would be better on gas a 4.0l wrangler auto or a 4.0l cherokee auto? Thats what i have narrowed my vehicales down too

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
for moe totally not worth it, $100 a month is decent savings but when you think if what your giving up its not worth it to me. my mPg calculations were on the high end as well. this was to allow for greatest savings possible and error on the side or generosity. I didnt want to be biased and low ball my savings.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
In your guys opinion what would be better on gas a 4.0l wrangler auto or a 4.0l cherokee auto? Thats what i have narrowed my vehicales down too
cherokee. It's a 4 speed, and its not shaped 100% like a brick, more like 98%.

I had a 98 cherokee that saw 20-21 mpg and a lifted cherokee that saw 18-19

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for moe totally not worth it, $100 a month is decent savings but when you think if what your giving up its not worth it to me. my mPg calculations were on the high end as well. this was to allow for greatest savings possible and error on the side or generosity. I didnt want to be biased and low ball my savings.
Yeah $100 a month is not that bad when i put into aspect everything that i will be able to do again and not have to call someone just so i can get my deer to the dnr check station. Im lookn at cherokees right now, I think thats what im gonna go with i built one 2 years ago. Lifted with 33's and locked rear i sitll got 14 mpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts