Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sun, fun, and Rum
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting rid of my cj7 to start a fresh build. I've got a general idea but could use some input. I would like to take a modern rolling chasis with drivetrain and put a fiberglass cj7 body on the top so i get a newer frame with a modern aluminum v6 and aluminum auto tranny and 4wheel abs disc. will be 2 wheel rear drive only Haven't done a lot of checking into what still has a solid frame instead of a unibody. Like taking a 2005 or newer ranger, s-10, or similar that has been crashed but straight frame removing the body, welding up a 2" frame over the top of that frame that has the body mounts and such lined up of a cj7 tub.

·
Sun, fun, and Rum
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
one is the price of a 97 or newer tj with a v6 and auto is still pretty stiff, also not a modern v6 motor also thought ride would be alot better with out that weight in the wheel hub having to be handled by the suspension. would also like to lengthen body like a scrambler kinda size for my kiteboarding gear to go under a lockable tonneau cover. i know i could buy an unlimited(before the 4door) Next is would be a fun project for my dad and I along with a few other jeeping buddies to build something no on else has. I have thought about taking my cj and dropping the front axle, dana300 and putting in independant fronts, but its a great start to a semi serious wheeling jeep so no point in taking all that off to go in the opposite direction. Also i like the dash and simple nature of an old cj rather than the plastic look of the newer ones.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'm getting rid of my cj7 to start a fresh build. I've got a general idea but could use some input. I would like to take a modern rolling chasis with drivetrain and put a fiberglass cj7 body on the top so i get a newer frame with a modern aluminum v6 and aluminum auto tranny and 4wheel abs disc. will be 2 wheel rear drive only Haven't done a lot of checking into what still has a solid frame instead of a unibody. Like taking a 2005 or newer ranger, s-10, or similar that has been crashed but straight frame removing the body, welding up a 2" frame over the top of that frame that has the body mounts and such lined up of a cj7 tub.

why would you do that when its easier and better to remove the unneeded body mounts and make new ones, then weld them on at the right locations?

your 2"x ? frame sitting on top of the original frame amounts to stacked frames, and we all know what that is....a one way ticket to the booty fab thread...not to mention carnage waiting to happen

·
Registered
871 Posts
Been thinking about hacking up my 67 scout and turning it into a POS bastard "rod". You go first and I'll decide then.

·
Big Block Ranger
2,698 Posts
Just get one of the slammed mini trucks on here and don't gay up a jeep.
I thought Chrysler already did this for you :poke:

·
Wheelin the HD
7,231 Posts
I thought Chrysler already did this for you :poke:
I dunno, I am not a jeep guy myself... but he is talking about using a glass CJ body so, since all the old jeeps are BA, won't that be gaying up a CJ?

·
Jackstand Wheeler
1,114 Posts
There's a guy here in Alpena that did that with a flatty grille, and S-10 chassis, and an entirely hand-made body....mainly for cruising around and towing behind his motor home. Do what you want and don't mind all the haters.

You may be further ahead by building the frame from scratch and mounting the Jeep body and modern drivetrain to that...and don't rule out some of the late-model AWD vehicles out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts