Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First my jeep would not stay engaged in 4wd ( it would jump in and out), and now it is doing it again. I also Replaced the vacuum switch about two weeks ago, trying to fix this problem. could there be a chance that one or more of the vacuum line are clogged?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought I had it working but as usual it stopped working again. It will engage into four wheel drive but as soon as I get over five to ten mile an hour it jumps out of four wheel drive (I am relatively sure that is vacuum/Vacuum switch(which is brand new) related but I can not figure it out.) Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is coming out of 4WD, the front axle or the t-case?
I think at the t-case (but the light is turning of also, so), But I did get it working for about a week when I put just a little silicon on the vacuum switch prongs so it would seal with rubber boot that slides on to it.(which is wear I think my problem is at), but that only lasted for a little while till it started up again.

·
1992 Jeep YJ
44 Posts
I know ckhanna71 popped the accuator cover on the front axel and moved the piece that the vaccum switch moves. it works and it makes the guessing game if the switch will work or not go away.

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
if the t-case is popping out i dont think it would have anything to do with vac, since vac has nothing to do with the 4WD except moving the front actuator. I would looking into the t-case to make sure nothing is interfering with the shift linkage, like a body lift etc... Also check fluid level in the case.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
new thing that I noticed: It will not disengage 4 wheel drive while the vehicle is in reverse, but as as soon as I put it in 1st, 2nd or 3rd, it will move a couple of yards then jump out of 4wd. any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.