Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped transmissions in my 96, gmc c1500 with a 5.7 and now the gear indicator light on the dash isn't working. I had to replace it with a new one(second new one actually the first the prongs where bent inside). I've tried reinstalling it according to GM instructions and all I can get is a light in the OD position, before re adjusting I had a light in the N, OD, and 1st positions and it would flicker on in the neutral position when shifting from R to P. Any suggestions? It does seem to be in the correct gears and shift fine in the case it's just not lighting up the dash.

Thanks,
Kurt

·
Charcoal Mellowed
1,288 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought that there was a bulletin that instructed you to use a new connector part kit as they had many issues with potting compound "gluing" the connectors together, and terminal tension for the connectors being lost and creating a poor contact situation. I had to do this to an S10 with a 4L60 that was doing all sorts of wierd shift and indicator crap.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats exactly right, I found the bulletin not long after I posted but the buletin only shows up under 98's not 96's The best bet is to try and unbolt the switch if possible rather than remove the connectors. And in case anyone has this issue again the 4 wire connector is $50 and the 7 wire connector is $123, plus tax of course

1 - 3 of 3 Posts