Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:suuuuuuuuuuuure you did.

Any breakages or listed upgrades?
Other than a needed trans refresh, no. It went everywhere I pointed it. Never had to winch. Only issues were operator error. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: We ran 7-9 rated trails with some optional lines that according to our local guide were up in the 11-12 rating. I was never denied. I was in the lead of our group the whole time and I struggled finding the right line sometimes when others drove right through. Other times I drove right through and others struggled. So all in all, it's pretty easy to say it goes where you point it.

I'd still like to improve my brakes but that wasn't really an issue here. The torque converter I got was for a diesel so the stall is really low. I was trail riding without touching the gas so there were times it wanted to push through the brakes.

I'm struggling with what to do with side skins. I ran all week without them due to heat and visibility and pics aren't all that flashy. Visibility is awesome without skins but it's a lot easier to get slop on you. hmmmmmm............

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,328 Posts
lol, I have operator error all the time! Still learning the capabilities of the new rig. Getting more comfortable and confident every time I take it out. Glad to hear as a whole it was GREAT SUCESSSSS! Sometimes you just get lucky and pick the rite line :)

Do you run Hydroboost? My braking was AMAZING this trip at windrock with the hydroboost unit. Wish I had done that upgrade years ago.

I think buggies look more better with skins. Could you just do Lexan skins in the areas that provide good visibility?

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
lol, I have operator error all the time! Still learning the capabilities of the new rig. Getting more comfortable and confident every time I take it out. Glad to hear as a whole it was GREAT SUCESSSSS! Sometimes you just get lucky and pick the rite line :)

Do you run Hydroboost? My braking was AMAZING this trip at windrock with the hydroboost unit. Wish I had done that upgrade years ago.

I think buggies look more better with skins. Could you just do Lexan skins in the areas that provide good visibility?
I haven't considered hydro boost yet.
Yes, clear skins are an option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As mentioned above, I cut and bent my cutting brake handles. Before I bent them, to get full pressure my arm was at full extension, which didn't work so well. Now I can really lay into it and get better pressure.

Before.

View attachment 280345

After

View attachment 280346
Am really interested in things like this

Sent from my Infinix X650 using Tapatalk

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
A couple small updates. I put in a fresh trans built by Tranny Tom and he has refreshed the one that we rebuilt out in Utah. It needed a good cleaning, clutches and seals. I think he replaced a couple worn parts. Now I have a fresh spare on the shelf.

The buggy works well as-is and I haven't really done anything to it other than basic maintenance.

I have always been a fan of brighter colors. When I bought the buggy it was dark grey. I lightened it up to something between silver and grey with Rustoleum Hammered Pewter. Still darker than I wanted. So it was time to change again. Now it's Rustoleum Gloss White. After putting a fancy paint job on my YJ I came to the conclusion that it's not worth it. Now I stick to rattle can colors for easy touch up. I'm also trying to promote our driving school with shameless plugs so we added our logo to the side.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Plant Vehicle

Tire Plant Wheel Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

The engine puts out a lot of heat and I wanted to increase visibility for crawling. So holes were cut into the skins. Great solution for both issues! And now that it's getting cold it's time to close it back in so yesterday I added some smoked lexan. Should do the trick.

I sprung a leak in the seam of my fuel cell so it had to come out for repair. Although very cool looking, I've decided to leave the storage rack off the back that was above the fuel cell. I'm also not happy with my tool storage boxes so a change is coming. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

pics to be uploaded soon

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,328 Posts
love the window idea. I'm a fan of cheap paint as well. Plus makes for easy touch up! Glad to see everything is staying together and working for you.

Do those round vents work well for bringing air in? I've kicked around ideas of doing something like that to the YJ.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
6,003 Posts
Such a sweet rig. Looking great. You may probably see that I was asking about coilovers in my build thread. But, I noticed that yours has foa coilovers. How have you liked them? Do they work good in the dunes? Are yours remote reservoir? Thanks for any input.

141 - 160 of 173 Posts