Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
So last September the Happy Wife told me to stop talking about a buggy and go buy one. This is no bullshit, she told me to go for it. So I started shopping around and reached out to Rich Klein (Trail Hero / WeRock) for advice. During my search, Andrew Koz, who had moved to Mineeeesoda contacted me about a buggy he knew for sale. After pics and phone calls (along with Rich telling me to go for it) I made the deal. @JohnnyJ and @Ironman Offroad did an around the clock trip with me to get it. I got home late Saturday night, took it for a test spin at Holly Oaks and headed out for Sand Hollow 4 days later. :). Lol

I love it. I had some mishaps but drove it into the trailer after 6 days of 8-10 rated trails.

Vehicle specs:
Titled as a 49 Willys. The tailgate and grill are original from the donor vehicle.
LQ9 with cam and springs - estimated around 450 hp
TH350
Triple stick 203/205 doubler setup
GM low pinion 60 up front with Grizzly and Yukon stuff
14 bolt rear with Grizzly (soon to be ARB)
112" WB
FOA shocks - not the greatest but has worked well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Looks Ike you acquired a nice rig, something to be proud of. Also sounds like you have a great wife, my guess she is a keeper. I know I’m a little late to post on this but congratulations on your rig, I just seen it.

My wife has never told me to do something like that, that’s why I keep my money separate and do my own thing now. It took me 35 years of marriage to figure out if I want something I had to adjust how we handle our finances. Now 47 years into it I have way more toys and a a new 60’ x 80’ shop with lots of tools, a buggy, 3 Jeeps, and money in the bank. We split up the expenditures and that has made my life better.

Congratulations on the wife too.

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
We are currently in Utah with not so good happenings. While en route, our RV fridge caught on fire. Short version - no one can believe we saved it from burning to the ground. Local RV dealer replaced the fridge. On to Sand Hollow with the buggy. A couple mild sunset runs before the rest of the guys get here. Trans starts to whine and we diagnose it's the torque converter. A 6 hour round trip run to Las Vegas gets us a new converter. It took 3 hours to get the trans out and when we pulled the converter, the front pump/spline is toast. I have a line on replacement parts so we will put it back together tomorrow and hope for the best. Sad day................. :(

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,655 Posts
We are currently in Utah with not so good happenings. While en route, our RV fridge caught on fire. Short version - no one can believe we saved it from burning to the ground. Local RV dealer replaced the fridge. On to Sand Hollow with the buggy. A couple mild sunset runs before the rest of the guys get here. Trans starts to whine and we diagnose it's the torque converter. A 6 hour round trip run to Las Vegas gets us a new converter. It took 3 hours to get the trans out and when we pulled the converter, the front pump/spline is toast. I have a line on replacement parts so we will put it back together tomorrow and hope for the best. Sad day................. :(
Eeesh, sorry to hear Jim! Make the best out of it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 · (Edited)
Lots of help from great people turned the corner yesterday. I drove an hour round trip to pick up a front pump. Guy was super cool and even though he knew he had me over a barrel, he wouldn't take any money for the part. Just wished me good luck. While I was on the drive, the gang got the trans out and pulled the pan. YUK!!!! Lots of debris in the pan had us really worried. We cleaned up everything and swapped the pump and about 3:30 in the afternoon we fired it up. Let it run for about 10 minutes and then drained the fluid and refilled. Test run was good! It's a great feeling to realize you paid $27 a gallon for 6 quarts of synthetic fluid that you used for 10 minutes and then flushed. LOL

An evening up Triple 7's garnered no issues. Only issue is trans gauge doesn't seem to be reading right but the trans fan is turning off and on which is a good sign.

It's pretty humbling to reflect on how many people helped us out to get this done. All the guys on the trip pretty much lost a day of wheeling. @JohnnyJ and the group were priceless. Woody Swearington who lives in the area offered up his entire shop with a hoist and made the effort to go borrow a trans jack.

So, here's hoping we are good to go for a week of epic wheeling. :)

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,325 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to catch the fire issue before a meltdown!! Also good to hear on the transmission.

That's why you surround yourself with good people. I have received a lot of help over the years and always try to pay it forward. Sure it sucks you loose a day or hours from trail riding, but I would hope and I know others would help me if needed.

Have a fun and safe trip wheeling.

121 - 140 of 170 Posts