Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 · (Edited)
Well it's been a while since I did any updates. The previous mods have worked out well, no issues to date. However.............
We headed out to Rugged Mountain Ranch in Oklahoma last May.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

My luck was so-so. We ran an uphill climb no problem but on the access road back down I hit a rock and sheared my hi-steer bolts on the passenger side. Luckily I was able to drive it to the cabin and after a run into town for new bolts we got it back together. I was never fond of the single shear arm plus the tie rods were on an angle. Note when I say single shear, he had a double shear on the bolt but not tied into the oem knuckle. Plus it was a 4 bolt mount. I added a 5th bolt.

Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

Since the hi-steer arm and the oem knuckle were not in line, I had to get creative. I added a lug to the hi-steer arm, moved the tie rods below the double sheer bracket he had and went with a full length vertical bar. It looks kind of goofy and overkill but when you look at the vector forces, you will see that it makes it very stiff.

Gas Flowerpot Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Nut

So once we got the steering arm fixed, we headed back out on the trails. RMR is a knarly place to wheel and has some good difficult stuff. Running Tacket Creek I got a tire bound up and popped the short side inner axle shaft. I called it quits and rode shotgun for the remaining trail of the weekend. When I got home I opted for a Branik 300M shaft.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper Rim Automotive wheel system

I managed to snag a tree along the way. LOL

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Car

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
This summer has had a lot of good times at Holly Oaks.

Who would think a cement block would swallow a 42" tire?

Cloud Sky Slope Bedrock Formation

Cloud Wheel Sky Tire Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Ecoregion

Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Plant

Sky Cloud Tire Wheel Vehicle

My driving school has been going well. I got hired by Magna for a customer appreciation day and asked to bring out some buggies to give customer rides. @JohnnyJ and Jeremy joined me and we had a great time. Buncha studs right there! LOL

Cloud Wheel Sky Tire Vehicle

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
In August (fucking hot) we had 10 rigs head out to Montrose Colorado to run a bunch of 8-10 rated trails. We had a great time. Fortunately for me, I didn't have any major issues. I think my only repair was swapping out an in-cab winch control that was sticking. But what a great time. @JohnnyJ rode shotgun/copilot on the trip and we had a blast! Did I mention it was hot? LOL Thankfully I left the outer skins at home and the temp was bearable.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Car

Pollution Art Paint Gas Geological phenomenon

Tire Sky Wheel Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

On Thursday we made the 90 minute drive to Grand Junction to run the iconic 21 Road. Awesome scenery! 21 Road can be as easy or hard as you want it. The road follows a river bed up a canyon and there are tons of side lines that are fun to wheel in. Well worth the trip!

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Sky Wheel

While on a big drop off I took a hard bounce. The cockpit is tight and I got a major rug burn on my leg from my steering wheel.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

So I ditched the 12" steering wheel in favor of a 9" steering wheel.

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Crankset Bicycle wheel

Kinda like driving a giant go-kart now. LOL
Also in this pic you can see the cutting brakes and the 2 switches for the air compressor and rear ARB. I am trying hard to package things within easy reach. I found that it was hard to get a really hard push on the cutting brakes so I recently cut and bent them for better leverage. (pics to follow later)

Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Very jealous of how much wheeling you do 😁 21 Road is on my bucket list.
21 road 'should' be on a person's bucket list and can be run with almost any 4x4 vehicle. Not sure about stock but you don't need anything wild - unless you want to run the optional stuff. I should probably do a pic thread of our trip but I will have to do it from home. The cool part is it's only 10 miles off the highway.

As far as how much wheeling I do - it's all about priorities. I do 2-5 out of state trips a year. This year will be 3. And then between the driving school, working on the steering committee, the MineRiders and just wanting to poke around, I probably average 6-8 days a month at Holly Oaks. Sometimes only for an hour or so, sometimes all day.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
As mentioned above, I cut and bent my cutting brake handles. Before I bent them, to get full pressure my arm was at full extension, which didn't work so well. Now I can really lay into it and get better pressure.

Before.

Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

After

Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

101 - 120 of 123 Posts