Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Well deserved upgrade! Now the wife will be happy she doesn't need to keep telling you to buy it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cool sore on the buggy!

I keep seeing more of these at Bundy Hill and think to myself - maybe I should give up on my Blazer and go that route? But like you, I am not sure I want a dedicated rig, since I already have ATV's I have to haul to use. So back to keeping the Blazer.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That thing is siiiiiiick! What are your future mod plans?
It's pretty well set and doesn't need much other than little changes to make it my own. The ARB and cutting brakes should be installed within the next month and then it's wheeling time. The front axle shafts are Yukon and I am doubtful they will hold up. So I see Branik 300M shafts in the future.

I really wanted a buggy with rear steer but it wasn't in my budget. We will see what the next year brings.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,741 Posts
Sounds nice to be able to jump into something and not have to worry about many upgrades. Look forward to the updates! Are branik 300M better than the RCV stuff???

:EDIT:
wow.... those are some BEEF!

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sounds nice to be able to jump into something and not have to worry about many upgrades. Look forward to the updates! Are branik 300M better than the RCV stuff???

:EDIT:
wow.... those are some BEEF!
I originally thought RCV was the way to go. But after seeing some discussion on dedicated rock crawling FB pages, it appears that the guys out west are not big RCV fans. Some is due to service, others due to available replacement parts quickly and others simply don't think they hold up as well.

Branik has 1480 and 1550 4340 and 300M shafts, and can support more angle than RCVs. They are making their own 1550 joints, too. If you want more than 45* steering angle then it's an option.
I don't need any better steering than I currently have. My tires rub my links right now. I can't find the old school code for a D60 joint. Everything comes up SPL55-3X
I have not broken A D60 joint ever but I am running the Yukon Super Joints. I figure the weak link is the 4340 Yukon shafts so I will probably go 300M.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,265 Posts
You would go up to Branik's 300M shafts instead of their Legacy 4340 shafts for this buggy? (talking their in-house stuff, not Yukon 4340)

1480 is the SPL55-3X joint. I'm not sure a kingpin 60 can fit the 1550 joint. 1550 can steer more, but also should have more load capacity. Having said that, I agree that 1480 super joints are mighty fine and likely better than stock spicer 1550.

1550 spread makes the loads ~30% less on the joint and ears of shafts
no change to shaft strength except at yokes

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not much to show in the way of pics but I've been working on it steady. The new cutting brake is installed and plumbed. I never trusted the oil pressure gauge because it has read high (80-ish) since I bought it so I replaced it with a good old fashioned mechanical gauge. The master shutoff switch was in the console which was burdensome and also unavailable for an outsider to shut the rig off in case of a bad rollover. So I bought a new master switch to be mounted in a visible location. My new trans is here and hoping to install it this weekend. So, with luck, it may be back together within a couple weeks.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Not much to show in the way of pics but I've been working on it steady. The new cutting brake is installed and plumbed. I never trusted the oil pressure gauge because it has read high (80-ish) since I bought it so I replaced it with a good old fashioned mechanical gauge. The master shutoff switch was in the console which was burdensome and also unavailable for an outsider to shut the rig off in case of a bad rollover. So I bought a new master switch to be mounted in a visible location. My new trans is here and hoping to install it this weekend. So, with luck, it may be back together within a couple weeks.

If the Trans is out you have the drive shaft out already you might as well tackle that rear steer project :rolleyes:

RBB

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
What did you get for the new master switch? One of the next items I need to buy for my buggy. Was thinking about the Flaming River with the secondary alternator terminals.

·
Yooper In Training
7,093 Posts
Beautiful rig! Glad to see it'll be put to good use too.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
What did you get for the new master switch? One of the next items I need to buy for my buggy. Was thinking about the Flaming River with the secondary alternator terminals.
Nothing fancy but it's the one that @JohnnyJ put in his 4500 car about 10 years ago and is still working.

Just bought it and already wrenching on it. I love it!
Lots of things are changing. So far;
-rehabbed the front ram mount and truss
-installed a dedicated power steering cooler
-relocated the trans cooler + thermostat on/off
-relocated the main fuse/relay panel
-added a dedicated solid state fan relay for motor and trans coolers
-swapped the t-case cable shifters to my preference
-relocated rear light bar
-cutting brake
-New ARB rear locker and ARB compressor are on the shelf ~ plan to install them probably in late March/April.
-Swapped out the 3x4 harness for new PRP 2x5's.
-Swapped the 8274 off of my YJ onto the Willys
-Installed 12v guy in-cab winch control
-Added HAM radio
-New 42 Reds are ready to go on (will keep the 43 SX's for sand/snow)

If the Trans is out you have the drive shaft out already you might as well tackle that rear steer project :rolleyes:
RBB
I want to run it for a season as-is. Depending on performance, rear steer may or may not happen.

Beautiful rig! Glad to see it'll be put to good use too.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Nothing fancy but it's the one that @JohnnyJ put in his 4500 car about 10 years ago and is still working.
Thanks for the link! That one is way cheaper.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Lots of things are changing. So far;
-rehabbed the front ram mount and truss
-installed a dedicated power steering cooler
-relocated the trans cooler + thermostat on/off
-relocated the main fuse/relay panel
-added a dedicated solid state fan relay for motor and trans coolers
-swapped the t-case cable shifters to my preference
-relocated rear light bar
-cutting brake
-New ARB rear locker and ARB compressor are on the shelf ~ plan to install them probably in late March/April.
-Swapped out the 3x4 harness for new PRP 2x5's.
-Swapped the 8274 off of my YJ onto the Willys
-Installed 12v guy in-cab winch control
-Added HAM radio
-New 42 Reds are ready to go on (will keep the 43 SX's for sand/snow)
Always need projects to work on 😁

21 - 40 of 70 Posts