Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last September the Happy Wife told me to stop talking about a buggy and go buy one. This is no bullshit, she told me to go for it. So I started shopping around and reached out to Rich Klein (Trail Hero / WeRock) for advice. During my search, Andrew Koz, who had moved to Mineeeesoda contacted me about a buggy he knew for sale. After pics and phone calls (along with Rich telling me to go for it) I made the deal. @JohnnyJ and @Ironman Offroad did an around the clock trip with me to get it. I got home late Saturday night, took it for a test spin at Holly Oaks and headed out for Sand Hollow 4 days later. :). Lol

I love it. I had some mishaps but drove it into the trailer after 6 days of 8-10 rated trails.

Vehicle specs:
Titled as a 49 Willys. The tailgate and grill are original from the donor vehicle.
LQ9 with cam and springs - estimated around 450 hp
TH350
Triple stick 203/205 doubler setup
GM low pinion 60 up front with Grizzly and Yukon stuff
14 bolt rear with Grizzly (soon to be ARB)
112" WB
FOA shocks - not the greatest but has worked well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

So I had a few issues. Primarily the trans was overheating in 90+ weather. The trans cooler was mounted in the engine bay and was a dual circuit with the power steering. So I added a traditional power steering cooler, combined the dual circuit into one and moved it to the rear wheel well.

I broke the bolts on the hyd ram and had to weld the ram in place to get off the mountain. Once home I redid it with bumper blocks for the ram.

The current trans did not have compression braking and during dune running I blew 2nd gear. So a new trans with compression braking is on its way from Tranny Tom. @Tom

I cooked the radiator fan relay and it was difficult to access so I relocated all the wiring and went to a solid state relay.

I kept my 8274 winch off the YJ and added it to the Willys along with solid state relays and in-cab control from 11 Volt Guy. (pics to come)

A new ARB and compressor is on its way along with dual handle cutting brakes for the rear. (pics to come)

And finally the 43 SX stickies are being saved for snow and sand and being replaced by 42 Reds.

It should be ready to wheel by the time the weather brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,562 Posts
Wowzerz, sweet car. Congrats on both the awesome wife and rig. :)

Thanks for sharing your project, I appreciate it.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wowzerz, sweet car. Congrats on both the awesome wife and rig. :)

Thanks for sharing your project, I appreciate it.
My wife has been AWESOME! I first started talking about a buggy in 2012 while at KOH. I just couldn't justify it. But over the years I have talked about a buggy and she kept telling me to do it. But again, I struggled with the cost to do the upgrade for a more dedicated - less versatile vehicle. When I pointed out a nice buggy last fall and she told me to do it, I once again brought up the cost etc. She basically said "either take the money out of the bank and go buy what you want or never bring it up again!" We again talked about what I 'wanted' and she shrugged and said "it's only money, you only live once". So here I am! LOL

On top of that she didn't want me to sell the YJ pointing out that it was a much better snow rig and that I might not like the buggy (yeah right LOL). I had put it up for sale but took it back down after a week. Over the next 2 months I stripped some things off of it, sold all my stickies, all in the name of getting some cash back and making the YJ a little more marketable. It went up for sale 2 weeks ago and I made a deal in about a week. Sad to see it go but I think the buggy will be fun.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,001 Posts
Definitely a gorgeous rig Jim! I'm jealous and would like to get it in your will

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,001 Posts
That was like three jobs ago... Man this place almost feels alive again. Been a good day on the forum.

·
Gustafson
9,597 Posts
Not that I would expect anything less, but what a sweet ass rig! Sad to hear the YJ went, but this is a nice upgrade!

That was like three jobs ago... Man this place almost feels alive again. Been a good day on the forum.

I thought that too. Let's keep it up.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts