Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to pick up a 87 F-350.

It's has 106xxx miles with a strong 460, 4sd and it's a dullay.

The body was done at my friends shop and painted a nice forest green color . . .

The guy wants $5,500 for it.

What do you think? Should I hold out for a diesel?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
460's are next to impossible to get parts for. I have a friend who is an engine builder and he had to wait nearly a year for a part to be re-manufactured.

He was told they would not make any parts until the had x number of pending orders for the same part.

Hold for Diesel.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Parts for a 460 hard to find???????????? This is news to me, they are in every junkyard across america, in every performance mag and catalog, and are used in monster trucks.

Anywho... yes you are better off waiting for a diesel. You can get more power out of them for hauling.

Besides why invest all that money into what is now considered a collectors vehicle, with it being 21 years old? If you find a turbo diesel or cummins ram you will be much more happy with it.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Parts for a 460 hard to find???????????? This is news to me, they are in every junkyard across america, in every performance mag and catalog, and are used in monster trucks.

Anywho... yes you are better off waiting for a diesel. You can get more power out of them for hauling.

Besides why invest all that money into what is now considered a collectors vehicle, with it being 21 years old? If you find a turbo diesel or cummins ram you will be much more happy with it.
Not sure what he was after - but - I am not one to question his integrity (he builds engines for a living). Obviously, you don't know me from a hole in a wall so I understand you questioning mine.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Not sure what he was after - but - I am not one to question his integrity (he builds engines for a living). Obviously, you don't know me from a hole in a wall so I understand you questioning mine.

He was obviously holding out for a particular part from an aftermarket company. I had issues with trying to get a replacement rod from Oliver. But you can call dozens of other companies and get rods. Maybe not quite the quality of Oliver so you just set back and wait. Stock to mild builds are so easily supported it would never be an issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts