Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have some dirt riders on here.

anyone ride a 450f fuel injected? Have any input on the bike itself? do you like it? are you happy you got it. longevity? reliability? any issues/years or brands to stay away from?

I am looking at them this weekend. looking for a gently used one with low hours and no numbers or a last year "new" model... yzf/kxf/crf... maybe a rmz, but seems suzuki's are not as commonly sold around here...

watching vids it looks like it has a very smooth/rideable power that would be great for riding up north, but has the power if you need it... but could also puts around the yard with my son not worrying about fouling plugs or being on the pipe etc...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'm thinking being a four stroke AND efi plugs are not an issue. I've never had one, only carb'd bikes, but think of all the efi sleds now. They always run right, no issues in different temps. I imagine same on dirt bikes. No warm weather jetting vs cold weather jetting ect.

·
Registered
188 Posts
EFI is the way to go. As for the 450s, I have been on a carbed 450x and it was to fast for me. From what I have herd about the 450 efi bikes is that they are not for the average rider.

A 14 WR250F makes more power than my slightly built 01 DRZ 400.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EFI is the way to go. As for the 450s, I have been on a carbed 450x and it was to fast for me. From what I have herd about the 450 efi bikes is that they are not for the average rider.

A 14 WR250F makes more power than my slightly built 01 DRZ 400.
really? I have not rode a 450 efi bike. I am the average rider.

I was thinking about the 250f's, but my concern was that they "rev at 14000 rpm's" and have to rebuilt as much as a 2 stroke?! wtf? I am not buying a new 4 stroke bike to rebuild it every year. the 450 will work a lot less hard with me on it (was my logic), but I am a little concerned about it being to much...

·
The Violator
5,070 Posts
My 2009 yz250f has never been rebuilt and only had valves done once. Its been super good to me. Only time I feel its not enough bike is when I'm ripping down a straight road, cause it feels like I run out of gears. In the woods or corner to corner on a trail its perfect. Few buddies run the 450 efi's and they love them. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
188 Posts
really? I have not rode a 450 efi bike. I am the average rider.

I was thinking about the 250f's, but my concern was that they "rev at 14000 rpm's" and have to rebuilt as much as a 2 stroke?! wtf? I am not buying a new 4 stroke bike to rebuild it every year. the 450 will work a lot less hard with me on it (was my logic), but I am a little concerned about it being to much...
I have HERD that the service interval is crazy long for the new WR 250F.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
They don't need rebuilds like the 2 strokes! I've had 3 Yamaha400, & 426 ,they last . It's not like an efi bike is going to be this insanely faster then carb'd monster. They make smooth even power all the way through the rpm range. Depending on how heavy you are, a 450 shouldn't be too much bike. You'll grow into the power it makes, and truthfully the less powerful bike inst any safer haha. 450s are prob easier to resell

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They don't need rebuilds like the 2 strokes! I've had 3 Yamaha400, & 426 ,they last . It's not like an efi bike is going to be this insanely faster then carb'd monster. They make smooth even power all the way through the rpm range. Depending on how heavy you are, a 450 shouldn't be too much bike. You'll grow into the power it makes, and truthfully the less powerful bike inst any safer haha. 450s are prob easier to resell
I am 190 and 6' with my boots on. I have been on a rm125 that has been fun(fastest bike ive road), but tired of the tweaking and tuning and constantly having to be on the pipe.

we do run seasonal roads and can see myself running out of the gear like montecarlo mentioned.

I might stick to the 450f. if I feel like its to much it will be easier to trade down than up I think...

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 2009 yz250f has never been rebuilt and only had valves done once. Its been super good to me. Only time I feel its not enough bike is when I'm ripping down a straight road, cause it feels like I run out of gears. In the woods or corner to corner on a trail its perfect. Few buddies run the 450 efi's and they love them. Just my 2 cents.
how many hours do you have on it?

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
I havent owned one. But many of my friends have and i have ridden them all. I would suggest a kawi 450. They come with three different "chips" for it. A white, green and black. All different tuning maps. The black one is down right nasty. The white and green are very ridable. Being 6' 235 it ripped at the dunes with the black tune and me on it. Just stay with a 09-12. 13 went to air forks that are funky and they had a problem with the pistons flipping in the bores and destroying the engine. Aftermarket piston solves this though. Hondas always run great, ride great and look great. Only ridden a carbed 08 450 honda and it was a nice bike. Had friends with RMZ's as well that they loved. I am not a yamaha fan and dont really know anyone with experience in an efi yami.

I would also never be scared of a bike with numbers. Having raced and knowing many people that do. Most people that race keep up on maintenance and repairs a lot better than someone who rides a few weekends a year and has only changed the oil twice in 4 years. They would have suspension set up better than factory and usually all the problem areas are fixed. Everyone i know that races or raced change the oil every other week and coolant yearly. Plus they usually have hour meters to keep track of time on engine. Not just a guys word that he hasnt ridden it much. Plus they are usually just getting rid of it to upgrade to a newer model not that its messed up. Thats my opinion though

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I havent owned one. But many of my friends have and i have ridden them all. I would suggest a kawi 450. They come with three different "chips" for it. A white, green and black. All different tuning maps. The black one is down right nasty. The white and green are very ridable. Being 6' 235 it ripped at the dunes with the black tune and me on it. Just stay with a 09-12. 13 went to air forks that are funky and they had a problem with the pistons flipping in the bores and destroying the engine. Aftermarket piston solves this though. Hondas always run great, ride great and look great. Only ridden a carbed 08 450 honda and it was a nice bike. Had friends with RMZ's as well that they loved. I am not a yamaha fan and dont really know anyone with experience in an efi yami.

I would also never be scared of a bike with numbers. Having raced and knowing many people that do. Most people that race keep up on maintenance and repairs a lot better than someone who rides a few weekends a year and has only changed the oil twice in 4 years. They would have suspension set up better than factory and usually all the problem areas are fixed. Everyone i know that races or raced change the oil every other week and coolant yearly. Plus they usually have hour meters to keep track of time on engine. Not just a guys word that he hasnt ridden it much. Plus they are usually just getting rid of it to upgrade to a newer model not that its messed up. Thats my opinion though
good input. thanks. I have seen a few kxf's on clist that have caught my eye. this was some of the feedback that I was looking for.

oh, and how heavy do they feel. I am sure its going to feel pretty heavy compared to my rm125. dry weight on that is 198 I think.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The older yams are down right heavy. Hondas are lighter in just about any year, newer yams have the alum frame vs the older steel one. they will prolly all weigh more then your 125

·
bdd
2,385 Posts
I ride a 04 Yamaha wr250 f. It has never been apart except to install hot cams and a new timing chain. I check the valves once a year and only needed to shim one valve one time. I don't have a clue how many hours are on it but I would guess it has at least 20,000 miles on it. I wouldn't buy anything but a Yamaha after how well it has treated me. Im 5'11 and only weigh 165 so the 250 with hot cams is usually enough for me. Once in awhile it would be nice to have a 450 when I run out of power in 5th gear wheelies. I've thought about trading up but I think the 450 would be harder to control on long rides and probably hurt me more often.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It sounds like you need a WR250f, CRF250X, KLX300R, KTM 200/300 or KDX200/220.
kinda been wondering about most of these...

do I need the 450 for my 190 lbs or will a 250x be sufficient? fast enough?

450's seem like allot of bike and I have been reading that they will over heat on the slow trails/putsing around? that wont work if its the case.

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
Need a 450? Absolutely not.

If you are the kind of guy who "needs" a crew cab diesel 4x4 with twin turbos, a lift, and 40" tires to haul around your push mower and weedwacker, then you probably "need" a 450 to haul you around. If you're the kind of guy that is adamant that a prius is the best tool for that task, you "need" an XR100. If youd feel a Ranger or half ton is handy and does the job just fine, maybe even a tough more than you need, then get a 200 two stroke or 250 WR or CR-X.

It would be wise to skip the CRs and YZs and go for the WR or CR-X. If you are looking at older bikes, look at an XR 400 or DRZ 400.

If you really want something to putz around on, get on/off easy, go slow or cruise steady while being comfortable and not worried about anything, buy my TW200!

·
Boris
988 Posts
I have a 09 crf450r, first year of fuel injection for this bike. I had a 08 yz450f prior which was carb. You can absolutely tell a difference. The response time is amazing. Im sure the newer bikes are even better. If you dont have the funds for a fuel injection bike I would def be okay with a carb bike but if you are willing to spend the cash, fuel injection is the way to go!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts