Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
unbound
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well a while back i traded by dirtbike for a 1978 f150 custom, it has a 429 thunderjet from a 1969 thunderbird in it. it ran fine for a while, but i had to park it for winter since i couldnt afford to plate and insure it.

i tried starting it up a while back, but this part (pics below) started getting cherry red on the red corded side and throws sparks...i tried replacing it, but i seemed to have blown out the other one, the lights won't even come on in the cab anymore, however the old one still works, but i can't start the engine obviously...

any ideas?

the silver washer on the head of that red cord is like "welded" on now

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
That's your solenoid that controls current to your starter. If one of the sides was getting cherry red (probably the cable running to the + side of the battery), you have a short to ground somewhere.

I also see a red battery cable bolted to ground in one of your pictures - you have a few problems. If your wiring got that hot, I believe you melted some other important items as well.

·
unbound
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's your solenoid that controls current to your starter. If one of the sides was getting cherry red (probably the cable running to the + side of the battery), you have a short to ground somewhere.

I also see a red battery cable bolted to ground in one of your pictures - you have a few problems. If your wiring got that hot, I believe you melted some other important items as well.
both of the battery cables are red, one of them seems to be ground twice. i didn't wire this up, but it seems to just suddenly shorted out...

how do i check for shorts without them being obviously fried?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Don't check anything, Put new cables and a new solenoid on it and forget about it. An old solenoid will stick on crank when trying to start it with a low battery and melt the cables just like that. Or just sell that POS to me:naughty:

·
unbound
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't check anything, Put new cables and a new solenoid on it and forget about it. An old solenoid will stick on crank when trying to start it with a low battery and melt the cables just like that. Or just sell that POS to me:naughty:
i got a new solenoid but it threw sparks and the battery lights won't even come on, i'm wondering if i blew the solenoid? there's a whole mess of wires there and i'm not entirely sure where they all are SUPPOSED to go...

i'm trying to fix it so i can sell the whole truck

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If the + cable has wore/melted through and shorted out it will throw alot of sparks:sonicjay: If you put a new solenoid and cables on the only thing it could be is the starter and that's so doubtfull it's not worth mentioning.

How much for the truck??????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts