Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Living on the Edge
2,077 Posts
that is a decent price for a short block, but the ad sounds like it's blowing alot of smoke. never heard of Titan engines, but I do know what's involved in building a 4.6/4.7.

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
that is a decent price for a short block, but the ad sounds like it's blowing alot of smoke. never heard of Titan engines, but I do know what's involved in building a 4.6/4.7.
Their process sounds legit to me? But I still would not spend that amount online thru a "no-name" company.

Also, it's an exchange, so by the time you send your core and pay for shipping you're spending waaay more than $2100.

roger: If you decide to use them, let us know how it goes...

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,223 Posts
Sound good and I think you'd be hard pressed to build your own stroker for $2100, unless you have your own machine shop.

·
Living on the Edge
2,077 Posts
it does sound good, but the way the ad reads there using the original crank that has been reground. sure there is some machining that needs to be done, but as for what I know about 4.6L you just need a 258 crank & rods. there is a little more involved, but mainly that's what you need for the displacement difference.
as I recall, the 258 crank and rods give you about 1/4" more stroke per piston

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I have seen those auctions on ebay for a while. I don't know if I would buy an engine mail order. I prefer to do the work myself and use a reputable machine shop. Ends up being cheaper.

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
Sound good and I think you'd be hard pressed to build your own stroker for $2100, unless you have your own machine shop.
Well, here's the good news:

1. I know where you can get a long block/ rebuilt for ~$2600.

2. I built my 4.7L for around $1600. The list is too long to go into details, but I pretty much replaced everything minus accessories; a/c comp, alt, start, etc...

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
I'd castrate myself if I spent that much on a head job and found out that I could buy an aluminum one for couple hundred more ... and for what? It's not like your going to enter in the next JeepSpeed race.

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
Roger: If your brother works there as a mechanic, wouldn't you just take his word for it ... what about employee discounts? :naughty:

·
Living on the Edge
2,077 Posts
as I recall, the best 4.0L to start a stroker with is a post '96. granted, bottom end doesn't really matter, it's mainly how much $$$ you want to put into the head. there are many things you can do to help with the performance of stroking the 4.0L. different injectors, pistons, and other stuff. it mainly breaks down to $$$ involved and dependability.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts