Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
97 Sonoma 4.3, pulling the oil pan...

I have 10 bolts out of the pan itself, 3 out of the bellhousing/pan end, nothing else is visibly in the way of the pan coming off. The entire pan is free, except for the very back. The back is stuck so bad that the edge of the bellhousing would rather chip than break free from whatever is holding it on.

Did I just forget to do something, or is the gasket really just that strong?

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
if you removed the inspection sheild there are two bolts on either side of the rear main cap that the cover hides.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does not have the standard style inspection cover, it is just the tiny shield that the starter goes through. All that is out of the way too though. I guess I will try to feel up inside there if I can managed to actually get my hand in there.

·
Little Member
23,794 Posts
If it's the cast aluminum pan, did you pull the rubber plugs at the rear of the pan? Behind those are one bolt/nut each. You will need a long extension to reach them. 1/4" drive will be your best bet.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I got it earlier. I felt like a dumbass because I did not know there were a couple hiding up there. :poke:

Would scratched or scored bearings create knocking noise at all? None of the bearings are discolored or copperish at all, but most of them have scratches. The only one I have not checked is the rear main. The oil had quite a bit of fine metal shavings also...

·
Keep on truckin
5,937 Posts
only way to tell is to mic the crank and rods with bearings in them and compare for oil clearances. too much clearance = noisy engine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts