Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rockin an XJ
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you guys running strokers, did any of you have any computer work or tuning done to go along with the motor???

·
Registered
569 Posts
Always ran a Jet stage two on mine(98 ZJ), modified t-stat housing, 02 intake, relocated intake temp sensor, and 180° stat. I've been building these for over ten years and only one has failed

·
Rockin an XJ
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I am asking because I bought a 96 orvis zj with a stroker. He said the computer was tuned to the motor. Suppose to have 60k on it. It sat for 2 months recently. Now it fires up runs good revs good, move it and the auto shut circuit gets shocked and bucks the motor till it dies.

·
bdd
2,385 Posts
I have built 2 long rod strokers using kbb 944 pistons and 505 performance camshafts. The first one was quite a mild grind but pulled great to around 4600 rpm. The second one has a much more radical cam and pulls great to redline (5200) but may have given up a little on the bottom.
I didn't do anything to the computer on either build, I did move the iat sensor. The first motor ran great on neon injectors and stock ecm. The second one has bigger injectors but really needs to be tuned. These motors are calibrated to run really really lean for fuel economy and emissions.
I never messed around with piggy back controlers or chips because the Chrysler software just relearns around what ever you put in front of it and you end up with the same tune after 30 start cycles.
If your zj is obd 2 their are only a few options... B and G chrysler and Flyn Ryan are the only 2 in the world I know of that can rewrite your chrysler ecm. Flyan Ryan has a stellar reputation...your other option is a stand alone system.... If it is older obd1 you have more options.
Many strokers are running a stock tune but I think all of them would benefit huge from being tuned properly.

·
Rockin an XJ
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
We put a scanner on it and everything is operating properly. Will idle all day and Rev all day. Move it sometimes as soon as it goes into gear and other time 100 ft away whether idling along or acclerating. It cutting out via the shut down relay. New cps the cam sensor looks new. Tried 2 different coils in case of weak spark. New o2 sensors new cap and wires. I'm at a loss

·
Rockin an XJ
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Had the correct ecu/pcm in it. Has 60k on since built and installed in this jeep in 09. May have been a v8. The motor mounts and what not are all new heavy duty units. I think I traced it to a pcm problem got another on the way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts