Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Remove drivers side valve cover.
Rotate engine until both valves are closed (loose pushrods) on the furthest front cylinder.
Align timing mark on har. balancer with timing pointer around 5* BTDC
Insert distributor into engine (dont forget the gasket), snug hold-down, but leave loose enough to turn dist by hand
Install rotor
place dist cap on and note which of the 8 posts is directly above the rotor when the cap is in place. Ideally, you want to twist the dist so that as the rotor spins clockwise, it contacts the post sooner, rather than later (BTDC, not ATDC)
Starting with your Identified #1, run your wire to the dr front plug, the next post (clockwise), is going to go to #8 (Your pass rear plug)
Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 (something my father made sure I knew before my ABC's)
Drivers side are odd, front to back is 1-3-5-7, and pass is front to back 2-4-6-8

Take you time and route one at a time as to not screw it up.

Once you start the engine you will have to set the timing, I would advise using a light. 10-12* BTDC at 12-1500rpm, and around 30-36* at 3000 rpm should suit you. If your dist is vaccum advance, follow the directions. Remember to tighten the dist hold down.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.