Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'll Finsh One, One Day
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a billet summit racing distributor for my 350 im building but i dont really know how to set it up. In the instructions it tells me to mark a point on the firewall that match's up with the old distributor then line it up with the new one. Well i never had one in this motor. Complete build up. And its going in a toyota truck so theres no way i could have done any thing like that. So how do i get it set up right?

Also how do i know what post's are what cylinders. There is not any real markings on any thing.:confused:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-850055
^This is the distributor i have.^

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Remove drivers side valve cover.
Rotate engine until both valves are closed (loose pushrods) on the furthest front cylinder.
Align timing mark on har. balancer with timing pointer around 5* BTDC
Insert distributor into engine (dont forget the gasket), snug hold-down, but leave loose enough to turn dist by hand
Install rotor
place dist cap on and note which of the 8 posts is directly above the rotor when the cap is in place. Ideally, you want to twist the dist so that as the rotor spins clockwise, it contacts the post sooner, rather than later (BTDC, not ATDC)
Starting with your Identified #1, run your wire to the dr front plug, the next post (clockwise), is going to go to #8 (Your pass rear plug)
Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 (something my father made sure I knew before my ABC's)
Drivers side are odd, front to back is 1-3-5-7, and pass is front to back 2-4-6-8

Take you time and route one at a time as to not screw it up.

Once you start the engine you will have to set the timing, I would advise using a light. 10-12* BTDC at 12-1500rpm, and around 30-36* at 3000 rpm should suit you. If your dist is vaccum advance, follow the directions. Remember to tighten the dist hold down.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Rotate engine until both valves are closed (loose pushrods) on the furthest front cylinder.
Insert distributor into engine (dont forget the gasket), snug hold-down, but leave loose enough to turn dist by hand
Install rotor
place dist cap on and note which of the 8 posts is directly above the rotor when the cap is in place. Ideally, you want to twist the dist so that as the rotor spins clockwise, it contacts the post sooner, rather than later (BTDC, not ATDC)
Starting with your Identified #1, run your wire to the dr front plug, the next post (clockwise), is going to go to #8 (Your pass rear plug)
Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 (something my father made sure I knew before my ABC's)
Drivers side are odd, front to back is 1-3-5-7, and pass is front to back 2-4-6-8

Once you start the engine you will have to set the timing, I would advise using a light. 10-12* BTDC at 12-1500rpm, and around 30-36* at 3000 rpm should suit you. If your dist is vaccum advance, follow the directions. Remember to tighten the dist hold down.

Hope this helps.
Great write-up - so I am sure it is just an oversight.

After the distib shaft and rotor are installed, with the engine setup as you specified. The ROTOR should point to the front of the motor.

Once you have found a tooth to set it in (spline gear) so the rotor faces to the front of the motor (little to the DS is ok), you may have to manually turn the motor by hand to get the oil pump shft to seat into the dist shaft. Then you can place the dist cap on and follow the rest of the procedure Strangler wrote up.

#1 cyl is most always on the DS - but as mentioned - it is always the one that is the most forward of the engine.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Install rotor

Hope this helps.
Thats exactly how i do it too.

Only thing I do different is I mark a line(with a sharpie) on the base of the distributor directly under the post that I want to be my number one plug wire to be on. Then with the cap off I pick and drop the distributor a few times until the rotor points at the line I drew on the base of the dist. Reinstall cap. Having hte line drawn has helped me numerous times in trouble shooting also.

·
I'll Finsh One, One Day
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys very much. That is a huge help. Distributors are one of the things i dont know alot about so that is all a big help.

Now i just have to do it. Probley wait till i have the motor and trans mounted in the truck for the last time. Should be done by saturday if my stuff from summit comes by then.

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
the ******* way is to
1. take out spark plug #1
2. poke screw driver in and out while some one rotates (or yourself) the
engine till you can hit the side of the piston.
3. put in the distributor pointing at the #1 spark plug wire
4. try to start, if it wont the dis is 180 degrees off.
if off rotate the distiputer 180

1 - 9 of 9 Posts