Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Do it in the mud
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 dakota with 192,xxx miles on it. It was getting 16 miles and up a gallon ever sence I owned it. Over the past few weeks its dropped to 10 miles a gallon or less. I have no cat on the truck so that rules that out. and I really hope I don't need a motor. any thoughts?

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
I have a 94 dakota with 192,xxx miles on it. It was getting 16 miles and up a gallon ever sence I owned it. Over the past few weeks its dropped to 10 miles a gallon or less. I have no cat on the truck so that rules that out. and I really hope I don't need a motor. any thoughts?
i bet this one badazz machine and it will just work its way out.

·
Do it in the mud
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the check eng. light on?
No it is not. I'm kinda going towards a tune up or egr is stuck. egr stuck on my blazer and was doing the same thing. I gotta let the engine cool then I'm gonna check it out

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
I have had two engines do this to me. real high milers. the one went down to 3.5 mpg. come to find out the thing burned a piston and was creating too much drag on the engine. the other had a main issue and dropped to about 4 mpg.

·
Chillin with the top off.
4,891 Posts
Alot of the dodge magnum engines have a plate on the bottom of the intake manifold and the gasket blows out and then it sucks oil and gets no gas mileage.

·
Do it in the mud
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not burning enough oil to see (about maybee half quart per change) I checked the plugs are nice and clean and all cyls had 125 compretion

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,686 Posts
Replaced the fuel filter lately? It can make mileage drop.

·
Do it in the mud
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
replaced the fuel pump when I got it. The filter is on the bottum of the pump in the tank. And to replace the filter you have to replace the pump.

·
Registered
252 Posts
cap and rotor? plug wires? does it have any type of rough idle at all? take and ohm out all the wires and make sure one or more isnt just crazy resistance.

·
Do it in the mud
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no miss no rough idle. Cap rotor and plugs were done last summer.

·
Registered
252 Posts
check fuel pressure. if you have a bad regulator thats not returning the fuel it should be you'll have more fuel pressure there for useing for fuel and cause a loss of mileage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts