Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to keep my 304 but rebuild it this winter. Being a Chevy guy about all I know about AMC motors is they cost more to build then Chevy's ! :poke:

My goal is to keep it mild but with a tad more ponies and more torque. Any recommendations on parts and where to buy would be appreciated.

Have to keep in mind I want the TH400 trans and D20 case to live behind the this motor.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
I love my 304, but if I were to rebiuld it, I would just get a 360.

But, first look at your oil pressure, with a good gauge. How is it? How many miles are on this motor. If pressure isn't too bad, then I would recommend just replacing the oil pump gears with a good set from www.bulltear.com and get the new spring plunger.

Now for the rest of the motor upgrades, go with the Edel Cam and Performer intake, with a Holley 670 Truck Avanger. That will makes loads of difference over stock. I am really happy with my setup, just lacking the cam right now. So, it's simple and not any more expensive than bilding a Chevy.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
If you are going to build something from ground zero, you can make a pretty strong 304 by choosing the right parts to start with. However, doing a 360 will cost about the same because you're going to do all the same things to it, anyway.

I disagree on it being more expensive than a Chevy. Parts themselves may be more expensive because your average Jeeper doesn't dive into the AMC world of archaic AMC Car email lists where all the old knowledgeable bulletin-board-hating AMC guys lurk, making their inside jokes and obscure references to Nashes and Hudsons that most people under 30 won't understand. :sonicjay: These are the guys that occasionally cough up info on what vendor has which parts for cheap.

Anywho...

Lots of people roll with the Chevy swap in Jeeps and then find out that there is a lot of added expense not in the motor, but in the drivetrain adapters, motor mounts, etc.

Anyway, if you're fine with doing a 304 from the ground-up, I can actually give you a head start and I'll PM you about that. I also have a 360 longblock for a core if you are interested. All your 304 accessories will swap over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.