Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing up my 3 link front design.... for this, it'll be a passenger drop front axle. Do I need the upper link on the driver side, then?

Can't find a good answer on pirate that isn't 5 pages of pissing and moaning and conflicting opinions..

thanks..

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really. The question is, was that Jeep built for clearance, or because its correct design practice for torque counteraction. And at least from the pics, doesn't seem to have enough vertical seperation at the crossmember

·
5,820 Posts
these pics should help you out
aside from not enough vertical separation I dont see what that helps with?

Haggar, I have searched that specific question to death..... in a nut shell, it doesnt really matter for what we do... there will be slightly different tire loading but nothing that we will see doing what we do... campbells built their buggies with the upper link above the diff and other people that are very reputable also run them on the opposite side...

I am going to run mine on the opposite side as the diff.

for yours... I would do whatever packages easiest.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotcha.

Should go together pretty quick, since its using the same links and brackets as the rear axle.

I think 80% of the work was getting all the brackets designed, building a link or two to get them the way I liked, etc. I've got the numbers worked out the way I like them in the calculator, so I just need to get them fabbed now.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,814 Posts
I've seen people put them on the passenger side when running a 4.0L That way it is out of the way of the exhaust, however I know you are running a V6 so that point is moot.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'll just put it on the drivers side for now, towards the center as much as I can get it.

·
Hoggin'-N-Boggin'
2,358 Posts
well you didnt say that and i didnt ask.........but yeah it dont fawking matter, i like welding a plate on top my axle so i dont have to build a gay ass tower, and since yours are mild steel housings, no question on top the diff

·
Registered
7 Posts
aside from not enough vertical separation I dont see what that helps with?

Haggar, I have searched that specific question to death..... in a nut shell, it doesnt really matter for what we do... there will be slightly different tire loading but nothing that we will see doing what we do... campbells built their buggies with the upper link above the diff and other people that are very reputable also run them on the opposite side...

I am going to run mine on the opposite side as the diff.

for yours... I would do whatever packages easiest.
So.......... you have nothing.:confused:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Everything I ever read has said to place it over the diff for torq transfer. Other wise the axles wants to twist. And that was off of a Fab site. But like alot say, it's about what works for your build..

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
After looking around and reading like your doing I just put it where it fit best. For me that was the passenger side. It fits well on the long side of the tube and left room for the trackbar mount as well. If I only have one upper link I didn't want to place it over the diff and risk the weld breaking or something, plus my hydro could have been in the way. I have no wierd twists or anything but I only run a stock 4.0

·
5,820 Posts
So.......... you have nothing.:confused:
you got me there :(

Everything I ever read has said to place it over the diff for torq transfer. Other wise the axles wants to twist. And that was off of a Fab site. But like alot say, it's about what works for your build..
would you care to explain how one side of the axle tube has more torque in it than the other? I disagree with who/whatever told you that.

the only thing you will see is slightly different contact pressure from one side to the other while under a driving load or braking load as the axle's rotational torque from either of those gets transferred to the frame via the upper and lower links. it is dependent on what side the diff is on and also what side the upper link is on....(if you REALLY want to break it down things like gear ratio, tire size and a lot of other things come into play too) if we were building drag cars that go 100' on 2 tires then it would be worth calculating. for what we do it is such a small variable that it isn't worth figuring and designing around.

the closer to center you can get it the better off you will be.

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,014 Posts
would you care to explain how one side of the axle tube has more torque in it than the other? I disagree with who/whatever told you that.
I suppose an arguement could be made for fabricating skills. Since the pumkin already gives you some vertical separation, a tower over the pumkin is much shorter than a free standing one on the axle tube. But assuming a person designs/builds the tower correctly, it's a moot point. The only other thing I can think of is some torsional wind up between the dif and the tower over the axle. But this is such a small number it shouldn't even be considered.

·
5,820 Posts
I suppose an arguement could be made for fabricating skills. Since the pumkin already gives you some vertical separation, a tower over the pumkin is much shorter than a free standing one on the axle tube. But assuming a person designs/builds the tower correctly, it's a moot point. The only other thing I can think of is some torsional wind up between the dif and the tower over the axle. But this is such a small number it shouldn't even be considered.

I would be more worried by what the torque input back to the frame does rather than the torque in the axle tube.... torque in the axle will stay in the axle, torque put back into the chassis will roll a vehicle over and make the suspension do weird things when there isnt a lot of weight on it.

I agree that a mount on the diff would most likely be easier but neither mount are very difficult to make.

on another note, I am having a hell of a time packaging a tie rod, track bar, single ended steering ram, upper link, radiator, air shocks and air bumps on the steering axle.... there is NO room and everything gets in the way.... it really comes down to whatever you can get to work, go with it as long as the geometry is good.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats going to be my big challenge, trying to have clearance for everything. The radiator and grill are directly above the axle.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
on another note, I am having a hell of a time packaging a tie rod, track bar, single ended steering ram, upper link, radiator, air shocks and air bumps on the steering axle.... there is NO room and everything gets in the way.... it really comes down to whatever you can get to work, go with it as long as the geometry is good.
Why not a triangulated 4 link up front since you have full hydro anyway?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.