Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

261 - 280 of 562 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Yeah for sure I’m sure I’ll want to change lots of stuff -witch I already do, but I just wanna drive it for now lol

What day are you going to R&V next weekend ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saturday. I've actually got to finish up my trans swap. Only a few small things to do, exhaust, drive shafts, change u joint on the front shaft at the axle (which i think i finally found the right joint, or combo of joints:teehee:) fluids, and a little bit of wiring. Hoping to get it done tonight and test it out this weekend. Plus I've got to cut my tow hooks off the front and put my shackle mounts on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Saturday. I've actually got to finish up my trans swap. Only a few small things to do, exhaust, drive shafts, change u joint on the front shaft at the axle (which i think i finally found the right joint, or combo of joints:teehee:) fluids, and a little bit of wiring. Hoping to get it done tonight and test it out this weekend. Plus I've got to cut my tow hooks off the front and put my shackle mounts on.


Saturday the 27th hmmm wonder if I could wing that lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
You can! Get a bumper on though, even if it's the stock one. If you do what i did, you'll be as sad as me that day:(


We will see not how work ends up

Might just shoot for mounds Sunday we will see !

Yeah bumper bumper still deciding on style in my mind haha frames cut up there so stock wouldn’t just bolt on. I just need to decide and go buy some material


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
We will see not how work ends up

Might just shoot for mounds Sunday we will see !

Yeah bumper bumper still deciding on style in my mind haha frames cut up there so stock wouldn’t just bolt on. I just need to decide and go buy some material


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, i hope to see you there!
A nice tube bumper would fit your build as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Well, i hope to see you there!

A nice tube bumper would fit your build as well.


That’s what I’m leaning toward building & making it bolt on


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The pic attached are the measurements needed to fit inside the frame rails in the front. You'll have to grind the corners off the bottom edge to fit in all the way, but mine works great. That will leave about 4" outside the rail to weld to. I've got 5--1/2" bolts on each rail holding it in. Maybe a bit overkill, but i have the winch bolted to the bumper as well. If you need more explanation, i can grab some more pics later today.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Some updates
Build front bumper
Build sway bar up front since truck was diving to one side and staying
Build winch mount to transfer from flat bed hauling truck to front and rear of wheeling rig, wired quick disconnects

Plan to take truck out for it’s first time next Saturday at twisted trails dog party feb 17th

Lost all my pics since had to get new phone the other day




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Looks damn good! I can't wait to read your wheeling updates. Wish i could make it to the dog party, but we have a weekend long swim meet for my son. It's the season ender, so can't miss it. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Looks good. Curious how it does in the tight woods and how those tires perform. Never known anyone that has run those.
thanks

scratches and dents is how it will do threw tight woods lmao

yeah tires are off another truck i have, they work good in the sand thats all i know so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Uh
Looks good. Curious how it does in the tight woods and how those tires perform. Never known anyone that has run those.
Mine does fine through 90% off the trails in mi that i have run. Through the other 10%, you just can't be afraid of dents, scratches and major body damage. I've watched plenty of jeeps crinkle quarter panels on trails i make it through with no damage at all, so I'm thinking it's mostly driver...

thanks

scratches and dents is how it will do threw tight woods lmao

yeah tires are off another truck i have, they work good in the sand thats all i know so far.
I bet with lots of grooving those tires would be fine, but like they are, I'll be willing to get you'll struggle anywhere there's mud or rocks. You should jump on the set of sticky treps in the for sale section!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Uh

Mine does fine through 90% off the trails in mi that i have run. Through the other 10%, you just can't be afraid of dents, scratches and major body damage. I've watched plenty of jeeps crinkle quarter panels on trails i make it through with no damage at all, so I'm thinking it's mostly driver...



I bet with lots of grooving those tires would be fine, but like they are, I'll be willing to get you'll struggle anywhere there's mud or rocks. You should jump on the set of sticky treps in the for sale section!
would love a set like that but would have to trade, dont have 2k cash for them

i feel like i need to have 40s or bigger just because how big truck ended up being
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Went to a truck/tractor pull over the summer and many of the pulling trucks ran them. I had only saw them on show trucks and dune runners.


Yeah I just took the wheels off my blue truck to use for now


Someday I would like these


But the price lol



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
would love a set like that but would have to trade, dont have 2k cash for them

i feel like i need to have 40s or bigger just because how big truck ended up being
Well, try to strike a deal! You never know.
I thought i needed 40's or bigger as well, but am incredibly surprised how well the 37's do with a bit of trial and error. My next rig is "in process " right now. Looking into building a truggy out of the other cab i have. I'm building it for 42's ultimately, but probably going to start out with the set of 37's i have now to get it wheeling. Looking at prices on everything now, and going to 42's, new wheels, and other choice parts puts me well over 16k without motor and trans, so I've got to make compromises so i can get going on it. That price also doesn't include tube for the custom frame, and the cage, so it's really getting spendy quickly:teehee:going to be a hard sell for the wifey:(
 
261 - 280 of 562 Posts
Top