Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running around in a clapped out one of these with a 401 big block, yep she got between 4 and 6 MPG, gas was $0.95 per gallon and the AC did not work life was different then.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

This Saturday this Bute caught my eye setting in the back of a shit hole car lot Man did that bring back memories.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Share some of your "ones that got away."

RBB

·
Desert Rat
7,523 Posts
I was running around in a clapped out one of these with a 401 big block, yep she got between 4 and 6 MPG, gas was $0.95 per gallon and the AC did not work life was different then.
View attachment 282011

This Saturday this Bute caught my eye setting in the back of a shit hole car lot Man did that bring back memories.

View attachment 282012

Share some of your "ones that got away."

RBB
I was looking at one on the internet that was for sale. Looked super clean and had a Cummins 6BT. He wanted too much money for it, but it was borderline if it was as sano an installation as it looked. I was stretched thin at the time and remember telling German girl, “if my house sells soon, we might go get this”. The house actually sold not long after, and common sense kept me from taking further action on it.

Twenty five years ago I sold this. Of all my vehicles the blue 75 RamCharger was the best. 318, 2 barrel, full time, 4 speed, had zero emission stuff on it, last of the regular gas vehicles.
Always started with just a touch, 13 mpg, It always got me there, and more importantly always got me back. I was stupid to sell it. I had it fifteen years and just got bored with it.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine was a POS I was always working on it but as soon as I got something fixed I would waste no time getting the opportunity to take it out and beat the shit out of it until I found the next week link. Not a great plan but sure was a lot of fun I worked for a pizza place as a stock boy but every winter I ran deliveries with the " Beast " out in BFE it was a great time. I would drop off pizzas and pull Chevys out of ditches on my way back to the restaurant for side cash.

RBB

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,953 Posts
25 years ago I was beating the pi$$ out of an 89 gmc 2500 and an 89 taurus sho. Thankfully we did not have the internets very much back then. Life was great!!!

Reactions: Jrgunn5150

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
25 years ago I had an 86 chevy 4x4 two tone brown and white. I worked at a speed shop and the boss needed my 350 for a swap on a truck that came in the door for an engine. he said he would trade me my 350 for a 396 he had on an engine stand. I couldn't get my truck in the door fast enough. I had my engine out and on a stand in about an hour and tore down and in the hot tank in about the same time. He also paid me to put the 396 in my truck as well.

·
Yooper In Training
7,571 Posts
25 years ago I was a 13 year old gearhead chomping at the bit to get my driver's license. First car came about a year later; a tired 1980 Camaro with a 305 and glasspacks that I thought was the coolest thing on the planet and it was pure torture to own it for a year before I got my license.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
25 years ago I was a 13 year old gearhead chomping at the bit to get my driver's license. First car came about a year later; a tired 1980 Camaro with a 305 and glasspacks that I thought was the coolest thing on the planet and it was pure torture to own it for a year before I got my license.
My mom had a 68 cougar that she let me drive when I was 15. I would take it out on the back roads and cruze around.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,693 Posts
It's waiting it's turn. I would like to get it back on the road in the next few years. Here's a pic from May 2001. That's a 4" spring lift and 31s. At that point I had rebuilt the AMC 360 and added projection, rebuilt the TH400 and Quadratrac, 4.10s in the axles and a detroit in the rear.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Plant Car

Spring 2002 with 3" body lift and 35 MTRs:

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Here's the latest pics. It's sitting in the corner of the barn. No engine/trans/t-case and the interior is mostly stripped.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts