Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok what is the differance in a 231 and a 242 tcase they seam to be the same to me??? also what is a 241 tcase found in the s10??????

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
242 has part-time 4 wheel drive

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok my shifter says 4 h 4lo and 2 i have the non disco front axle when shifted in 2 wd it is in 2wd and the case says 242 seams everything works 2wd and 4wd so am i missing something??? or are there 2 different 242 tcases???

·
No Money = No Fun
7,898 Posts
242 pattern: 2wd, 4x4 full time high, 4x4 part time high, neutral, and 4x4 part time low.

231 pattern: 2wd, 4x4 part time high, neutral, and 4x4 part time low.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ok what i dont understand is the full time 4 wd isnt that the same as 4 hi or whats the differance in full time and part time i mean what does it do???

sorry for the stupid questions but i have never understood the differance

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,459 Posts
Think of it like a dif. An open dif transfers power to either the left or right tire but not both. A locking dif transfers the power to both.

A part time t-cast transfers power to either the front or rear and when it's locked it transfers power to both. This allows you to drive it on dry pavement & gives better traction than 2 wheel drive but not as good as full 4 wheel drive.

(for you techy guys, there are holes in my example but I am trying to explain it simply so he gets the concept)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Think of it like a dif. An open dif transfers power to either the left or right tire but not both. A locking dif transfers the power to both.

A part time t-cast transfers power to either the front or rear and when it's locked it transfers power to both. This allows you to drive it on dry pavement & gives better traction than 2 wheel drive but not as good as full 4 wheel drive.

(for you techy guys, there are holes in my example but I am trying to explain it simply so he gets the concept)
Don't be a teacher!

Simple answer:

Fulltime 4wd can be used on pavement all the time with no major damage. It works just like an AWD car.

Part time 4wd can only be used in slippery situations. Otherwise damage will be done to your drivetrain.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,459 Posts
Don't be a teacher!

Simple answer:

Fulltime 4wd can be used on pavement all the time with no major damage. It works just like an AWD car.

Part time 4wd can only be used in slippery situations. Otherwise damage will be done to your drivetrain.
Yeah yeah yeah.:sonicjay: I figured he was looking for a little more detail than your explanation but you made it simple.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i should have 4 hi part time 4 hi full time 4 low and 2 wd in this 93 xj???is that what i am to understand???

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
You can have either the 231 or the 242.

The 231 will have 4 shift positions (2Hi, 4Hi, N, 4Lo).

The 242 will have 5 shift positions (2Hi, Fulltime, Part Time, N, 4Lo).

The 242 uses a viscous coupler to that helps to prevent binding when using on the street in Full Time 4WD. It's sort of like having an all-wheel drive vehicle. In Part Time 4WD it mechanically locks the front and rear driveshafts so they spin at the same speed.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thankyou JC now that i understand a little better ...what threw me though is someone musta changed the console cos it only has 4hi 4 lo and 2wd but the tcase says a 242.....thankyou for the info

1 - 16 of 16 Posts