Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to swap a 231 from a 2001 XJ into my wife's 98 5.9 that currently has a 249 with a VC that's going out. Do I need to swap the output shafts? The 231 case looks like it has a little longer output shaft than the 249. Or could this possibly be a good time to throw on a small spacer lift and I wouldn't have to mess with swapping outputs? Thanks.

·
getting dirty
971 Posts
Not all 231 tcases are a like from what I understand. I think you would have to worry more about the input shaft then the output. I believe they vary from certain years and what they were put in. I have a 5.9 ZJ with a 231 tcase conversion. I didn't do the conversion myself, came that way when I bought it. If I lived closer, you could come take a look. Will try and help if I can. You will also have to change the linkage.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have the linkage. The input are both the same spline count so those are no problem. The output definitely looks like different lengths so I may have to swap outputs or just tell the wife it needs a small lift!

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
When I swapped from a 249 to a 242 it was all bolt in
The 249/242/231 are all quite similar cases and actually share the same front case half
You may need to swap some Yolks between the two but that is it
And when he was referring r I the input he didn't mean the spline count he meant the input length
I'm not sure about the auto in the 5.9 but the 42re requires a long input so that it seals properly

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luckily this isn't her daily driver so I guess we will find out soon when I can get the jeep up on a lift. Its strange there is so little info on the 231 case. I guess that's why everyone chooses the 242.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Luckily this isn't her daily driver so I guess we will find out soon when I can get the jeep up on a lift. Its strange there is so little info on the 231 case. I guess that's why everyone chooses the 242.

231 isn't a very common factory option and wasn't an option in v8s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts