Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would an 83 22R with a single row chain have come with steel timing chain guides from the factory? The reason I ask is that when I fired up my engine for the first time I heard marbles coming from the front of the engine, I narrowed it down to the timing chain and started tearing down today. The guide on the right side (while looking at the engine) is totally broken up, the only part left is what was bolted to the block, and the one on the left is severly worn as is the tensioner. The guides are (or were) plastic and I would just like to know if they were originally steel, if so I am going to give the dealer a call and see if I can get steel ones there. I'll probably still buy the tensioner from a parts store though (I can't see that being much different).

Thanks,

Bryce

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Single rows had plastic, pretty sure at least later ones, which were known for doing just what you said, disintegrating. 83s were around the time they switched.

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, guess I'll go with what I've got then. I still may call the dealer and see if there ever was a single row steel backed timing set. Thanks haggar.

·
I'll Finsh One, One Day
2,371 Posts
Think you can just get them off of ebay for a descent price.

Also if you need new timing cover i have one. Got a new one for the motor in my 92 but am putting the motor out of my 85 in the 92 now so the motor is just laying around with a nice timing cover on it.

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the offer but I don't know that the cover would fit since I have the older tall block. Anyway it doesn't look like the chain ate the whole way through the cover yet, I'll run it as is until my new timing set explodes and then go dual row.

·
I own @ halo
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another OEM part question.

Is it possible to buy just the AAP diaphram by it's lonesome, like through a dealer? I just need that part and don't want to buy a whole kit.

Thanks,

Bryce

1 - 6 of 6 Posts