Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a cheap plinker. Hopefully something I can use to introduce my 6 year old to firearm safety with.

It looks like either a Marlin 795 or a savage 64. Thoughts? Anything else in the sub $200 market I should be looking at?

·
bitter clinger
1,245 Posts
Ruger 10/22 is a great semiauto. Plenty of aftermarket parts to customize with. If your looking for a bolt action, the Ruger American rifle .22 is a good way to go. Adjustable trigger and uses the 10/22 magazine. Very accurate.

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
. If your looking for a bolt action, the Ruger American rifle .22 is a good way to go. Adjustable trigger and uses the 10/22 magazine. Very accurate.
That starts out at $100 more than I want to spend.

·
$9.00 vanilla malt
2,773 Posts
A 10/22 will run forever although it will be big for a 6 year old to handle. I went with a remington 514t, was new for $139.00 a couple years ago. It is a bolt action single shot, perfect size for a kid to learn on. Get them comfortable on that for a few years. If you have a place to shoot at in Holland I can stop by this spring and you can czech it out. Also, the most kid friendly gun I have found is the Ruger Charger. It is a pistol version of the 10/22, perfect set up for a kid.

Kevin

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to be able to play with it too without feeling like I'm shooting a toothpick. My 6 year old is a pretty big 6 year old, but even if its too large for him this summer, it wont be for long.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Can always get a youth stock for the 10/22 you really can't lose on 10/22 resale you might lose 25 bucks 50 if you want to sell fast. The gun it's self will last well past yours and your kids.

·
LS Powered
825 Posts
I bought a 10/22 for my son when he was 7 and he handled it just fine, even being short for his age. He's going to be 12 in May. I looked at others and I'm glad I went with the Ruger, he'll be able to use it forever.

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just so its out there, this will be my gun, that my kids can shoot easier than a .40, or a 16g shotgun or a 12g shotgun. They can own guns when they can buy their own.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm impressed with the 795 for what it is. It shoots great and isn't picky like my 10/22 with tons of mods. Watch dunhams for sales. There is starting to be some market for it too.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you are against a youth bolt action single shot which I beleive is a great learning tool for a kid I would say Ruger 10/22. They just flat work and there is a ton of aftermarket support for them. It's been a while since I've looked for .22LR ammo but I know it was non existent for awhile.

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like I'm buying a lightly used 10/22 from a friend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts