Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, they hired their new GM out of an organization that knows how to win and evaluate players.

Will it help or will you lions fans remain doomed?

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,494 Posts
I like where he came from. I don't like that he is new to the title and responsibilities.
I like that Mrs. Ford shook things up mid season with positive results.
I like that Stafford was benched. I don't like that it took a benching to get his attention.

All in all, I'm optimistic that they are moving in the right direction but I don't think we will know till next December.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Personally, I don't think anyone they hire can do much with Stafford still as QB. Yeah, he squeaked out some wins the last stretch of the season, but he wasn't outstanding during those performances either.

He was more than well-equipped with some great receivers this year and couldn't even pull out a winning record. With his track record and time he has been given in Detroit I believe he has already overstayed his welcome.

That being said I will still tune in every Sunday regardless to watch them as I will always be a Lions fan.. unfortunately

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Wish they would have put in a bid to move to LA and would have got it. I can't stand the Lions. They are the worst franchise in professional sports. The whole Pats team from the GM down to the waterboy could come here and be called the Lions and still would bring the suck. I wish they would leave the state, or be forced to leave by the NFL. I feel bad for the poor saps that buy their gear,go to the games, and cheer on this awful franchise. Fuck you Lions!!! You destroy the careers of great players . Your team is such a piss poor place to play that some college players pray that the Lions don't select them.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,476 Posts
Did Jim-Bob make Stafford better, or was it the fact that the 2nd half was an easier schedule?

If yes, will Jim-Bob be back?

I think we will get an early indication with draft and free agent signing. Although who really thought Ziggy would turn out this good? I thought that was going to be a wasted pick.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,494 Posts
I think part of what made Stafford better was being benched mid-game. I heard an interview afterwards where he was caught totally off guard. How he could be that naive is beyond me..............

Maybe he needs to know how it feels to have a real job.........

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Statistically Stafford is one of the top QB's. I'm not a huge fan of his but it would probably help him out a ton if he could get a line to protect him a bit so he can go through his progressions and make the throws. If they bring in some other guy, and he doesn't get any protection, he will suck too, no matter who it is.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Statistically Stafford is one of the top QB's. I'm not a huge fan of his but it would probably help him out a ton if he could get a line to protect him a bit so he can go through his progressions and make the throws. If they bring in some other guy, and he doesn't get any protection, he will suck too, no matter who it is.
I agree. As much as I want to say he sucks and call him Jimmy Howard. When he isn't getting sacked (another statistic he's towards the top at) or knocked on his ass, he can make some great throws and reads. He's a gamer, he's tough, etc.

I don't think he's the next tom brady, but I do think that if we had a running game and a decent line that he's as solid as any other QB out there.

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
you need a great team to win, you dont need a great qb to win!
trent dilfer, brad johnson, and jeff hostetler all won super bowls.
none of them are very good, they were decent at best.
on a great team, stafford could be a very good quarterback!

on the lions, behind a bad line, without calvin, he will b horrible next year.
if he has an even average season, this new gm might be good?
if this new gm is similar to what we have had, stafford will be benched, or injured most of next season.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I think part of what made Stafford better was being benched mid-game. I heard an interview afterwards where he was caught totally off guard. How he could be that naive is beyond me..............

Maybe he needs to know how it feels to have a real job.........
He was probably caught off guard because everyone is there blowing him telling him how good he is. I don't give one fuck about his stats, he gets them against shit teams. If there is the slightest bit of pressure on him he's done. I've seen it a million times, he just cowers and can't even think straight let alone be accurate and consistent.

Did he do better late in the season, sure, against shit teams. The guy doesn't have any future past the lions, I just can't see it. He's had plenty of time to show improvement and I see him regressing not progressing.

As far as the gm, it is nice to see he's from a winning organization but I feel he will be lionized and won't be able to do a damn thing without permission from the old bat. As long as the Ford family owns the team I will not support them any longer. I will watch them, mainly for entertainment purposes, but no more going to games or buying merchandise. This year sealed the deal for me, the unwavering support for this loser team is the reason they still suck. The Ford family still makes a killing with this team so why would they sell. This organization pisses me off and so do the fans!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yeah I feel like you can't forget that Stafford has had Calvin Johnson the entire time, too. A definite hall of fame candidate, which is a level Stafford will likely never get to. Along with Tate and some of the other receivers and backs he has had many offensive threats that he continually fails to utilize..

Yeah he's been sacked, but what about all of the throws that just miss their target? He is such a pocket quarterback that every time he can't settle in the pocket and plant his feet his completion percentage plummets.

In such a competitive league with some fast fast rushers it's enevitable there will be some pressure, regardless of line skill. Not to mention he does throw the ball to the other team quite a bit. In his career with the lions he has 163 touchdowns and 98 interceptions. Those aren't great stats...

I just don't think he has what it takes to lead the lions to a playoff shot, much less a superbowl contention, and his track record proves this.

As far as management goes I have no idea.. the Ford's gotta give up some control and think about the franchise as a whole, not just where they can turn the next dollar..

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Yeah I feel like you can't forget that Stafford has had Calvin Johnson the entire time, too. A definite hall of fame candidate, which is a level Stafford will likely never get to. Along with Tate and some of the other receivers and backs he has had many offensive threats that he continually fails to utilize..

Yeah he's been sacked, but what about all of the throws that just miss their target? He is such a pocket quarterback that every time he can't settle in the pocket and plant his feet his completion percentage plummets.

In such a competitive league with some fast fast rushers it's enevitable there will be some pressure, regardless of line skill. Not to mention he does throw the ball to the other team quite a bit. In his career with the lions he has 163 touchdowns and 98 interceptions. Those aren't great stats...

I just don't think he has what it takes to lead the lions to a playoff shot, much less a superbowl contention, and his track record proves this.

As far as management goes I have no idea.. the Ford's gotta give up some control and think about the franchise as a whole, not just where they can turn the next dollar..
Yes

·
2013 King of da Moustache
2,342 Posts
Can't wait for Football season with the Lions next year :)

I like the new directions they are going, just hope they can move as a team in the right direction for the best !

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
He was probably caught off guard because everyone is there blowing him telling him how good he is. I don't give one fuck about his stats, he gets them against shit teams. If there is the slightest bit of pressure on him he's done. I've seen it a million times, he just cowers and can't even think straight let alone be accurate and consistent.

Did he do better late in the season, sure, against shit teams. The guy doesn't have any future past the lions, I just can't see it. He's had plenty of time to show improvement and I see him regressing not progressing.

As far as the gm, it is nice to see he's from a winning organization but I feel he will be lionized and won't be able to do a damn thing without permission from the old bat. As long as the Ford family owns the team I will not support them any longer. I will watch them, mainly for entertainment purposes, but no more going to games or buying merchandise. This year sealed the deal for me, the unwavering support for this loser team is the reason they still suck. The Ford family still makes a killing with this team so why would they sell. This organization pisses me off and so do the fans!

Ugh, I am breaking my promise to myself....

These two have hit it on the head. As long as the Lions make money for the Fords, nothing will change. Get just good enough talent to give the diehards hope, and their wallets will flow like a green Niagara Falls. No one will ever convince me that anyone in the Ford family is a football fan, this is just a business to them.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
And now Caldwell is staying as coach. SOL!! The new gm has no say already. I could tell he wanted to bring his own guys in and now Caldwell is staying. Unbelievable

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
And now Caldwell is staying as coach. SOL!! The new gm has no say already. I could tell he wanted to bring his own guys in and now Caldwell is staying. Unbelievable
LMFAO,

Lions will suck again. Quinn is a true Lions GM now. Breaking news Quinn hires Martin Mayhew, Matt Millen, and Sheldon White as special assistances to the GM he will need guidance.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts