Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a purchase of a ram (see thread title). Looking at 4wd crew cabs. My concern is towing and power/mileage.

I have a 18 ft enclosed I haul my buggy with, I'd guess it's 7800ish total. While I know it'll do it, my concern is how well. I can't imagine towing more then once a month say 300-400 miles round trip.

Looking for actual experience input here not a buddy of a buddy thinks this situation.

Pretty much looking at trucks with under 20k and still have full factory warranties.

Registered
I just got a 2012 Quad cab, 4x4 today. So no towing experience, but I read my book last night I took the truck for an over night馃槂. That trailer- 7800 is over the tow rating of all but diesel. I don't know if it increased for 2013-14.
I like the integrated electronic trailer brakes, and towing mirrors. Good luck shopping- I bought the only one that had my "needs" (must haves) but got a lot of neat stuff that I didn't "need. It's ugly to me but , I'm liking the ride!

Live Action!
Can I ask why not a 2500 for towing other than more $$$
I tow with a 03 GMC 1500 and would like a 2500 but dont really need the upgrade.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hard to find low mileage 6.7 ford's, 2500 rams in gas or diesel within the parameters of my searches.

Premium Member
I am considering a purchase of a ram (see thread title). Looking at 4wd crew cabs. My concern is towing and power/mileage.

I have a 18 ft enclosed I haul my buggy with, I'd guess it's 7800ish total. While I know it'll do it, my concern is how well. I can't imagine towing more then once a month say 300-400 miles round trip.

I leased a Ram 1500 a few years ago and it towed fine, but in my opinion 7800lbs and once a month average is enough reason for a 3/4 ton.

The Green Machine
I just got a 2012 Quad cab, 4x4 today. So no towing experience, but I read my book last night I took the truck for an over night馃槂. That trailer- 7800 is over the tow rating of all but diesel. I don't know if it increased for 2013-14.
I like the integrated electronic trailer brakes, and towing mirrors. Good luck shopping- I bought the only one that had my "needs" (must haves) but got a lot of neat stuff that I didn't "need. It's ugly to me but , I'm liking the ride!
My 2011 Big Horn is rated at 10k pounds with the 3.92 axle ratio. With 3.55's it gives it an 8500 pound rating, both with 1045 lbs of tongue weight.

I usually only tow about 6000 pounds with it, but I have no issues at that weight. I have a good WD hitch on it and I barely even notice it's back there in terms of stability. Accelerating from a stop is a bit sluggish until the Hemi winds up though. I have the factory integrated brake controller with the steering wheel controls, it seems to work very well.

Registered
Isn't the 10K the tow&payload rating? Which is weight of what's towed and all the extra weight in/on truck?
That's how I understand, but I did read for wrong engine馃槼
And yep mines got 3.9 ratio too.

Registered
My father in law has a 2014 ram 1500. He just bought a 33' travel trailer today. It says the gvw of the trailer is 6800 lbs. He had a WD hitch and sway control hooked up. Made it 10 miles down the road and turned off and called me to come tow it home with my 2015 2500HD duramax said he couldnt maintain 60 mph . He bought it at Lloyd Bridges in Chelsea and lives in hamburg. So monday he's going to buy a new truck. Might be able to get you a deal on his 1500. Its a cc 4wd hemi.

The Green Machine
Isn't the 10K the tow&payload rating? Which is weight of what's towed and all the extra weight in/on truck?
That's how I understand, but I did read for wrong engine锟斤拷
And yep mines got 3.9 ratio too.
The chart I was looking at on Dodges website says max trailer 10k, GCVW is 15,500.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/shared/pdf/2011_RAM_Full_Line_Tow_Chart.pdf

I've only towed a 6k pound 25' camper, and about 6500 with my jeep on a trailer, and it's always felt fine to me, even in the hills in the UP by the Porcupines. It just took a bit of a hit in mileage.

Edit: Mine has the 5 speed trans, maybe the ratings went down with the 8 speed.

Wasn't this attached?
I have a 14 1500 Hemi 4x4 crew cab with 3.92 gears and the 8 spd tranny. I believe they say a Hemi Ram can tow over 11k but add all the extra weight of options and such and mine is just under 8k. I have towed a few heavy loads at the farm though and it seems to do just fine power and brake wise. On the other hand, the rear end squats under even very minor loads so the weight distribution hitch would be good.

As others have said though, 3/4 ton is probably a better option considering your weight and how often you'll be towing.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In position and wants needs kinda puts me out of the diesel market. Year vs mileage vs loan approval is kinda hard.

I'll probably just end up keeping what I have and continuing to pay it down and maybe revisit the market again in a year.

can you hear the banjos?
i have a 14, i tow everything with my rental. my toyhauler 6600 add all the crap and i am around 9500. with a load hitch its fine. out of the 15,000 miles on it i bet 10,000 are with a trailer behind it. works for me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts