Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
sim sim balla bim
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just replaced the wheel joints in my 04 ram 2500. The truck just turned 60000. Anyone else have to replace theirs? I just thought they would last longer than 60000. Oyeah and they are alot of fun too. And not really cheap 200$ for 2. owell

·
goofy
116 Posts
2001 1500
Ball Joints and axle U-joints about 70000 ... Need to change axle U-joints again (117000)
oh should have done sway bar links at 70000 (still have not replaced those yet)

·
sim sim balla bim
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I guess thats all you get out of them. Just wondering because it seemed strange, of course this is the longest I have ever owned a truck. Usually 1 1/2 to 2 years then bored. I hope I don't have to replace those hub assemblies (where the bearing is), they were 400$ for 1 ouch

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Ok, so I guess thats all you get out of them. Just wondering because it seemed strange, of course this is the longest I have ever owned a truck. Usually 1 1/2 to 2 years then bored. I hope I don't have to replace those hub assemblies (where the bearing is), they were 400$ for 1 ouch

You really need to shop around a lot more - on both the axle joints and the unit bearings.

·
BFT!
11,172 Posts
Is that the dealer price cauz they wanted almost $500 a side for wheel bearings in my dakota. But I checked around and got them for $104 a side. Still not cheep but better than dealer cost and thats with me installing them. And yea i only got about 70,000 outta my wheel bearings too. Replacing one tonight actually.

·
Lurker
203 Posts
This comes up on a lot of the Dodge forums. Ball joints and tie rod ends seem to go out really quick. A lot of the people blame it on the seal allowing grease to escape. Shop around for price, but don't just get the cheapest you can find. A good quality part will last a whole bunch longer. I use the Moog's in mine (245,000 on a '95).

·
BFT!
11,172 Posts
This comes up on a lot of the Dodge forums. Ball joints and tie rod ends seem to go out really quick. A lot of the people blame it on the seal allowing grease to escape. Shop around for price, but don't just get the cheapest you can find. A good quality part will last a whole bunch longer. I use the Moog's in mine (245,000 on a '94).
Moog ball joints or bearings? I just replaced my ball joints with stock ones and now that its lifted i know there not gonna last more than a year. I heard Moog was the way to go only after i put stock back on my truck.

·
Lurker
203 Posts
Moog ball joints or bearings? I just replaced my ball joints with stock ones and now that its lifted i know there not gonna last more than a year. I heard Moog was the way to go only after i put stock back on my truck.
Ball Joints, the thread kinda wandered toward all front end parts. I've been happiest with the Moog stuff. For joints, I always try to get spicers.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
I am running factory ball joints and hubs at 165,000 on my 94 2500 (d60).
I do need new wheel joints though. This will be the second set, first set was replaced under warranty at ~60,000.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts