Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
wanna be wheeler
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know anything about TJ's saging on the passenger's side? I've changed the springs and still have about 1" of sag difference. (And before anybody chimes in, no fat girl's in there). Thanks, -Bill-.

·
Me balls are huge
2,543 Posts
Broken body mounts? Crooked bumper? Bent frame? Swap the springs side to side. If you still have the same problem something is bent/broken.

Maybe somebody installed half a body lift and forgot to do the other side?

·
wanna be wheeler
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This thing is bone stock wit like 22,000 miles, never even been through a mud puddle. I've heard that this is a common problem, but haven't heard the cause or a way to fix it. And JEEPR, can the rear springs really affect the front? Thanks, -Bill-.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Mine's always sagged towards the right rear. Just does it less now with the RE 4.5 lift on now.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Just sitting still on level ground? How old were the springs?
It had been doing it since it was a year old about 12k miles. Swapped with another set of springs and was the same. And no with a lift on still has a slight sag. 50k miles now.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It had been doing it since it was a year old about 12k miles. Swapped with another set of springs and was the same. And no with a lift on still has a slight sag. 50k miles now.
That seems a bit premature. Do you have a heavy bumper/swing out? I'm sure that doesn't help. I know Rough Country makes the passenger side rear spring with a different spring rate to help prevent torque sag.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I have about equal weight front and rear loads. rear carrier with rack and front full grill protect bumper with winch. same underneath. engine skid and kilby gas tank skid.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
And JEEPR, can the rear springs really affect the front? Thanks, -Bill-.
Yes they can. I had a problem with leaf springs one time. The jeep sat low rear right. I swapped them side to side and it was the same. Someone suggested checking the front springs, I swapped them side to side and the left rear was low. I replaced the front right spring and it sat level. So I would imagine it could work the opposite and be your rear springs making the front look off. Coil springs are a lot more sensitive to weight also. Check and see if all your sway bar end links are still intact. I know I need to roll mine back to the port side to hook my disconnects back up.

·
Me balls are huge
2,543 Posts
If the rear of the vehicle is level then you have either a twisted frame, or twisted body. Since new springs didn't affect it, I would bet the body is not attached properly, or the body is tweaked.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
also, it's most likely not really a "true" 1" sag. basically it's flexing. you probably have more like 1/2" sag, but if one side goes down, it's going to make the other side come up a bit too.

and yes it's common. you can try to make sure your weight is evenly distributed from front/rear side/side, or counterweight the opposite site to level it out.

if you checked your control arm mounts, spring mounts, spring isolators, body mounts, tire pressure, swaybar end links, etc.. and it's all in good shape, then i probably wouldn't worry about it to much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts