Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
gas, grass, and ass
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's something a little different than normal. Last year I bought this 2002 Polaris Edge xc 600 from another member on here. It came without a track and had a few problems. I put a track in it to just get me through the year and didn't do much to it. Over the summer I decided to start fixing and upgrading. I first started by fixing the handle bars. The bars on it must've been from a dirt bike because they were not set up for a snowmobile at all. They had no hand warmers and the switch boxes barely fit on. I bought a set of bars off of a 2002 rmk that had the powder bar already.

Before:

After:

I found a guy selling a 144" track extension kit with a track for $300 that only had 1,100 miles on it so the track swap began. Unfortunately i don't have any pictures with the rear skid out or with the new rail extensions on. While it was out I rebuilt the rear shocks and did a new complete boggie wheel kit along with new hy fax.

Old:

New:

Before:

After:

Future plans are to do a complete rebuild on the engine in the next couple of weeks, Put a tunnel rack on to fill in the empty tunnel, rebuild front shocks, switch hoods to one in better shape, add a digital gas and temp gauge, and hand guards.

·
gas, grass, and ass
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what's the seat off of, and how much bar riser is that?
2" riser and the seat is aftermarket. Not sure of the exact name but I bet if you search polaris pro x shorty seat it would come up. It makes you feel like your riding a dirt bike.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The seat looks like a stock Pro X shortly seat. It was available on a couple years of the Pro X or Pro X 2 sleds.

·
gas, grass, and ass
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The seat looks like a stock Pro X shortly seat. It was available on a couple years of the Pro X or Pro X 2 sleds.
I know the rear skid was swapped out with a pro x and it came with the low profile pro x windshield so it could be a stock seat.

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
I considered buying that sled when it was for sale on here.
I like the look of it.

Think the 600 motor will turn a 144 track with studs?
u gonna down gear it?

Looks good congrats!

·
gas, grass, and ass
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I considered buying that sled when it was for sale on here.
I like the look of it.

Think the 600 motor will turn a 144 track with studs?
u gonna down gear it?

Looks good congrats!
The new track doesn't have studs but I honestly don't think it's going to really need them with the lugs on the new track. I was going to gear it down a tooth or so, I've heard that it helps it run a little cooler but the gears are $75 each and that's not really worth it to gear it down that little. I'll just have to watch my temp gauge and see. I'll be in deep powder most of the time unless I'm on the trails.

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
Any idea what they might be?
Stock it should have been 23/39 gearing.
you could go to 22/40, and use the stock chain.

did you go to a smaller driver when u swapped tracks?
If you went to a smaller driver, ride it b4 u re gear.
smaller drivers gear it down slightly also.

·
gas, grass, and ass
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stock it should have been 23/39 gearing.
you could go to 22/40, and use the stock chain.

did you go to a smaller driver when u swapped tracks?
If you went to a smaller driver, ride it b4 u re gear.
smaller drivers gear it down slightly also.
Same driver. I just want to change gears to get more speed coming out of turns on the trails.

·
gas, grass, and ass
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haven't a clue. Its been years...
I pulled the cover off today, it had stock gears in it but I bought a gear set out of a RMK so now I have 19/41. That should help let it run a lot cooler. I also picked up a white faced polaris temp gauge off eBay for cheap and I've heard that they are pretty rare.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts