Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
| 11I1I11 |
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure exactly what could be causing this, but I'll try my best to describe it. Lately, I'll take the XJ for a drive around 3 ish times per day, and it gets a chance to cool off completely each time. It's been freezing around here a lot recently, obviously, so my suspension and axles and such get cold. Whenever I sit down in my cold XJ, the car makes a noise, like a pop. It sounds like a L/R corner type of deal. It has the distinct click like putting the trans in gear when there is play in the driveline. It also makes a heavier click than normal when I put the trans in gear, and then shortly after, making it only a foot or two, it will click again, whether in reverse or drive.

Now the noise is still there when the XJ has been run (and I stop at home for a second, but leave it running or something), so it's not just a cold thing, but it is far more noticeable in the cold. Could something in my suspension just be taking a dump on me, or does this sound a bit more serious? I'm also having a vibrating hop up front on the freeway above 70, but I'm almost positive this has nothing to do with that.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
moisture between the leafs in the spring packs or in the bushings, and when it freezes it obviously turns to ice, so when you move the supsension it break the ice causing your pop.IDK possibly, sounded good to me

·
Turn N' Burn
121 Posts
Ive had the exact same problem with my 98 XJ that you are describing, it has been doing it for about 2 years now with no problems, and i have no idea what it it. I just figure, hey, its a jeep, it makes all sort of noises, but nothing has happened so far. Just go with it, if something breaks, fix it. Theres always going to be noises popping up, ive just gotten used to it. Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
317 Posts
my jeep snaps crackles and pops every time i start it up and move when its cold... nothing broken yet, turn volume on radio up and pretend you dont here it :p

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
could be the springs moving the shackles a little or just putting more pressure on them . both of my xj's do it. as for the front hey it's michigan and how many potholes have you hit . Try getting the wheels balanced and check your air pressure

·
| 11I1I11 |
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
xj stuph

could be the springs moving the shackles a little or just putting more pressure on them . both of my xj's do it. as for the front hey it's michigan and how many potholes have you hit . Try getting the wheels balanced and check your air pressure

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into it. And by that I mean I'll decide whether or not it is worth looking under my XJ in the freezing cold outside, and most likely decide to eat a delicious cupcake instead. The wheels/tires are almost new, so the balance had better damn well be dead on. The alignment was pretty straight last time I checked. The only time she pulls is when I brake and that's cause the pads are shot to hell. The pressures are right up there, but I'll double check again. Thanks guys. I like the noises sometimes, but sometimes they're a little troubling. I'll just deal with this one until it's worth sitting under there for more than ten minutes in spring.

On to the next troubling issue with my XJ to post about in jeep tech... the list is getting shorter.

·
| 11I1I11 |
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
brake thingy

pulling isnt a brake pad issue :poke:

One side's brake pads up front are gone (down to metal), and the other is almost new. The stealership fucked up when they sold it to me, so the car pulls to the side with pad more than the no pad side under braking. Its a ghetto used jeep thing.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
One side's brake pads up front are gone (down to metal), and the other is almost new. The stealership fucked up when they sold it to me, so the car pulls to the side with pad more than the no pad side under braking. Its a ghetto used jeep thing.
And you're driving it like this?? I hope you don't hurt anybody..

·
GLFWDA member
2,674 Posts
it costs nothing and takes 5 minutes, at least put pads on the crappy side

1 - 12 of 12 Posts