Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
We are considering getting a JK or a JL.

Has anyone bought a 4 door and wished you would have gotten a 2 door instead/ vice versa?
Jeep will mostly be used for mall crawling haha.

Thanks! :usa:

·
Registered
167 Posts
4-door. The extra length makes turning wider, but on street it doesn't really matter. Even if you take it wheeling, the extra wheel base of the 4 door can be beneficial in a lot of situations. Off road, I prefer the shorter wheelbase, but I really wish we still had the "long tub" style Scrambler or TJ unlimited. Manageable increase from the 95" in a CJ/YJ/TJ, I'd like to have another 10" of wheel base in my YJ.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
I owned a 2dr TJ at one point in my life and now have had my 4dr JK for about 6yrs now....4dr hands down. Much more versatile and handy in day-to-day life. Never had the TJ offroad other than the dunes but the JK does very well offroad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
gots the 4dr for the added benefit of having a 3500lb towing capacity vs the 2dr. still just a cookie cutter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I like a 4 door because we have a dog and are planning to have kids. The wife likes the 2 door because they look cooler. Hahaha

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
12,984 Posts
2 Door, it gives you an excuse why you have to go by yourself and leave all those other pesky people home.:beerbang:

But seriously, I have a 2 door TJ, if a 4 door was available then I probably would have bought one. But now the kids are grown and doing there own thing, I've had a 4 door Fiesta and in 6 years and 70,000 miles I have had a person ride in the back seat exactly twice.

I guess what I'm saying is get what makes sense in your current situation, which it sounds like a 4 door.

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts
I couldn't bring myself to buy a 4 door jk/jl until the Gladiator hit. I likely will have one, trying to hold out to buy my inlaws in a couple years even though it is red.
:sonicjay: Nope, that's a deal breaker for me. I HATE red.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
:sonicjay: Nope, that's a deal breaker for me. I HATE red.
Me too, but my boy loves it, and they should be ready to sell it about the time he is old enough to drive. It will have never seen a winter, and it will be a great alternative to the hot rod he also says he wants :sonicjay:

Now to keep my MIL from smashing it like she has the others :sonicjay:

·
Project Antitube
882 Posts
I've been waiting for a magical LJ to come along and woo me into buying it for years.

4 door JKs are getting to LJ prices.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I too wanted an LJ but I can only find expensive ones. Even rusty ones go for 10K

·
Project Antitube
882 Posts
Yeap. 2 door 15 year old LJ for $10k or a 10 year old 4 door JK, both seem to go in the 10-12k range and both need motor swaps.

I think the LJ would pull nicer behind a motorhome though.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,122 Posts
Ive been REALLY happy with my 4door.

I've rented a 2 Door on a few occasions since and always wish it was 4. Just seems easier to access everything.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2 vs 4 door has pros and cons. But 100% get a JL. Have you deiven both?
I have driven both, but will likely wait a year or two if I want to get a JL. They're just a little out of my price range atm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts