Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
sim sim balla bim
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 channel amp that I want to hook up to one sub, how should i wire it? I don't want to wire it to just one side of the amp cause I will not get the sound from the other side:confused:

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
5,662 Posts
to what Ohm stable is it?

your amp is set like this for the speakers:

L Chan R Chan
|+|-|... |-|+|

Take the - from one side (L or R), than take the + from the other side. If you choose to take the - from the L, take the + from the R, and visa-versa.

This will Bridge the amp taking power from both channels into one. This lowers the Ohm load so less resistance = more power. It will get hot and if your amp cannot support 2 Ohm load it will shut off if it has a thermal switch...if not you can ruin the amp.

·
sim sim balla bim
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It says it is 2 ohm stable. It also says that it is overload short curcuit and thermal protected. So I should be ok, right?

·
Registered
265 Posts
all so make sure the sub will handle the power of the amp when brigde cuz if not you could do some damage to the sub

·
The Man Myth And Legend
5,133 Posts
to what Ohm stable is it?

your amp is set like this for the speakers:

L Chan R Chan
|+|-|... |-|+|

Take the - from one side (L or R), than take the + from the other side. If you choose to take the - from the L, take the + from the R, and visa-versa.

This will Bridge the amp taking power from both channels into one. This lowers the Ohm load so less resistance = more power. It will get hot and if your amp cannot support 2 Ohm load it will shut off if it has a thermal switch...if not you can ruin the amp.
x2

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
all so make sure the sub will handle the power of the amp when brigde cuz if not you could do some damage to the sub
X2 - The sub needs to be 2ohm stable as well!

·
sim sim balla bim
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

When you bridge an amp does that double the power? If so I may have to look into a different Amp. The amp is rated for 1000 watts 2x500. And the sub is rated for 500 watts. Your thoughts? I mainly got it to drive my neighbor crazy, she is a royal bitch with a big mouth:tonka: In fact I think she is a man in a bitch body. Well, not the main reason I like the sound too, but cannot wait to piss her off.

·
The Man Myth And Legend
5,133 Posts
well if its a good amp when u bridge down to 2 ohm stable itll prob run around 650 rms 1000 watt peak . so yeah the sub u have will prob smoke..but u could also turn the gain way down...if its a cheapy then watt rating is prob way off

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
Ok, looked at the sub. The only thing it says is 4ohms.
if it is a 4 ohm sub bridged the amp will see a 2 ohm load speakers are not ohm stable
Ohms is a measure of resistance there are so many ways to run speakers in parallel and series etc but with the one sub you will be fine just take your time adjusting the amplifier

It is recommended that you turn your stereo to 3/4 volume while adjucting the amp (if you normally listen to it louder turn it to that point )

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
Ok, looked at the sub. The only thing it says is 4ohms.
You should be fine ... ex: If you want to bridge an 8ohm sub your amp needs to be 4ohm capatable, so in your case a 4ohm sub will work with a 2ohm capable amp.

Just do it and start out by keeping the gain down ... once you have it dialed in turn the gain up to where you see fit. Short/fat ground cables are your friend. Also best to run a fuse block and/or power interupter closer to the power source (battery).

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
if it is a 4 ohm sub bridged the amp will see a 2 ohm load speakers are not ohm stable
Ohms is a measure of resistance there are so many ways to run speakers in parallel and series etc but with the one sub you will be fine just take your time adjusting the amplifier

It is recommended that you turn your stereo to 3/4 volume while adjucting the amp (if you normally listen to it louder turn it to that point )
:sonicjay: x2- I'm slow

·
sim sim balla bim
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well if its a good amp when u bridge down to 2 ohm stable itll prob run around 650 rms 1000 watt peak . so yeah the sub u have will prob smoke..but u could also turn the gain way down...if its a cheapy then watt rating is prob way off
Its a flebay special it is a Saga. I payed 60 shipped figured I would try it for that price.

·
The Man Myth And Legend
5,133 Posts
seein that the amp u have was only 149 brand new.. its watt rating is 410rms bridged at 14.5 dynamic power..which itll prob never see in a normal car or truck.. turn the gain down a lil u should be fine..or go buy a sub thatll handle 800 and crank it up..

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
volts x amps = watts IIRC so 12 volts 40 amp fuse (guessing) =480 watts rms lol not gonna see that out of a cheepie tho prolly 300

1 - 20 of 51 Posts