Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
88 broncoII with the 2.9 EFI. If i let it sit overnight it will start right up in the morning. The problem is when i shut it off the truck wont start back up and i can smell gas. Sometimes it will start back up after shutting it off. If it does decide to run it misses when i rev it up and when i drive it, it misses really bad. It seems as if its flooding.

Ive already replaced the thermostat, ignition module, wires, cap, rotor, and plugs. Its getting good spark and the fuel pressure is good. The fuel filter was changed last fall. Im starting to run out of ideas on what to try next. Any ideas or experiences?

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
My VWs had issues with the fuel accumulator (big spring diaphragm that holds pressure after the pump is off) not sure if your Bronc has one but sounds like the same symptoms.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Look for a schrader valve on the fuel rail somewhere. See if there is fuel pressure there right after you shut it off. Get it going again then let it sit for a couple of hours and check it again to see if there is still pressure. I am sure that there is a more scientific way to check it with a gauge but this might give you a good idea of the residual pressure.

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
2.9's are known to jump timing well at least my old one did alot

·
Registered
244 Posts
my brother had a 88 ranger 2.9 that was missing really bad and smelt like gas.we did plugs,wires all that stuff and it ended up being the MAP Sensor

·
Banned
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and now its running better. My check engine light went off. The idle is still not coming down after its warmed up and the truck seems to be flooding still.

Here's what ive done so far.
-MAP sensor has been tested and is good.
-Tune up (Cap, Rotor, Wires, Plugs)
-New Ignition Module (has good spark)
-Fuel pressure checked (good pressure)
-IAC removed and cleaned (could still be sticking?)
-Thermostat (truck never had one to begin with)
-Failry new fuel filter installed last fall

Im having all the wires checked because when i pull on the wiring loom the idle will go down and idle rough. It seems as if a wire is shorting out somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Once you get it to run like crap, try to turn the distributor a little each way to see if its a timing issue. Get the ingition coil checked, even if it does "work" it may not be throwing enough voltage. Other possible suspects is your intake gaskets are leaking, heads are warped, bad piston rings.

·
Banned
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once you get it to run like crap, try to turn the distributor a little each way to see if its a timing issue. Get the ingition coil checked, even if it does "work" it may not be throwing enough voltage. Other possible suspects is your intake gaskets are leaking, heads are warped, bad piston rings.
it does have a leak at the oil pan gasket, a few drops on the ground each night. Would that mean anything?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts