Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k....im gonna b e pouring money into the jeep when i get it.....long draw out process but it will happen......its a 92 yj with a 2.5 (yes i wanna keep the 2.5)

so i have to rebuild my head....getting a lil valve float so new springs valves and prolly rockers are in order along with seals and all that good gravey. so the questions at hand.....would i be better off putting a set of roller rockers in.....they claim it will free up 14 horseys

other than that where can i find the cheapest master rebuild kit for the motor.....ore best for my money i should say

o and i hear they make a high flow oil pump......i want one.....where can i get it

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
I would be really surprised if roller-rockers gave you 14 more ponies in a 2.5, but I can't tell you from personal experience. I would put the money in a good header and exhaust.

I really like the 4-banger, but there is not much you can do to put out a lot of horsepower with it. I would spend the time and make sure everything is tight and reliable. Put the extra money into other drivetrain parts and low gears.

The only way I can think of to really put out a lot of power with the 2.5 is a forced induction of some type, like a turbo or blower.

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not lookin for alot of power....im just looking to free up some.....its a dawg at times.....im for sure gettin rid of the clutch fan but i was reading an add for rolllers for it and thats what they claim.....i doubted it but if figured i would ask.....i ASSuMEd that the rollers would free up a little power robbing friction but who knows....

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I would put the money in a good header and exhaust.
skip the header, aftermarket ones have very similar flow pattern to stock, I dont think the added benefit of a smoother finish is worht the cost.

as for engine rebuild options I have no idea, i know the engine is not the greatest and when it comes to doin engine work on mine I will be goin bigger. from what ive learned the 2.5 is not the greatest engine no matter what you do to it, and not just because of the lack of cylinders

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I have a 93YJ I have had since new with the 2.5 Now has 140,000 miles on it. Most of those miles are hard wheeling miles. I do run a Borla header and a
Gibson exhaust. Yes the header and the exhaust made a big difference. Not sure if roller rockers would help or not. Might consider it if and when I need to rebuild my 2.5. I also run a rocket city air tube and filter. Got rid of the fan and run an electric one. Another major improvement. As for gearing I am running 35" tires so had to go with 4:88 gears. Still able to do 70+ on the highway and with the tera low t-case it crawls great. Who said bigger is better.:sonicjay: :sonicjay:

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont plan on going big.....this is and will stay my dd for a while....most ill prolly go is 33s.....depending.......like i said....im rebuilding anyways and just wanna free up some of the power that is being wasted.......header and exhaust were another thing i was thinking about.....i also hear that a 4.0 throtlle body is a good upgrade too.....sounds like a good idea but i need more input before i do that

·
Fire fire!
2,569 Posts
I have a 93YJ I have had since new with the 2.5 Now has 140,000 miles on it. Most of those miles are hard wheeling miles. I do run a Borla header and a
Gibson exhaust. Yes the header and the exhaust made a big difference. Not sure if roller rockers would help or not. Might consider it if and when I need to rebuild my 2.5. I also run a rocket city air tube and filter. Got rid of the fan and run an electric one. Another major improvement. As for gearing I am running 35" tires so had to go with 4:88 gears. Still able to do 70+ on the highway and with the tera low t-case it crawls great. Who said bigger is better.:sonicjay: :sonicjay:
I thought you had the straight six.. Sounds good!

·
Fire fire!
2,569 Posts
I replaced my fan also and notice a difference. I'm also going with the 4.88 gears and running 33's. I cleaned out my cat and put on a magna flow muffler but didn't notice to much gain there. Maybe a header would improve that also. About the 4.0 throttle body I don't have any idea. I also heard you can port and polish Your intake and heads and gain some more power there.

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
other than that where can i find the cheapest master rebuild kit for the motor.....ore best for my money i should say??????

o and i hear they make a high flow oil pump......i want one.....where can i get it??????
??

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
yes, you can bolt on a 4.0L throttle body. I never did it, but some swear it helps, others say no difference. If you pick one up cheap somewhere, why not try it. I wouldn't lay out a bunch of cash for it though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts