Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Low Range Drifter
8,693 Posts
No, the only tool I brought was my sawzall lol.
Looking at it on a bigger screen, I see air lines what looks to be airlines. Could just be some helper bags.

I would kinda like to try those on my jeep, but should probably get air bumps. Not easy being cheap.
I had some on previous rigs. Definitely not air bumps, but I thought they were better than urethane bumps. I found some cheaper on ebay as open box items. It took some time to look for what I wanted on the timbren site and then cross reference to what I could find for cheap there.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Spent some time monkeying about with a DIY Lizzardskin sound and heat spray on insulation. This is just latex paint and 3m Microballoons, which according to the internet, and LIzzardskin MSDS, Lizzardskin is also.

Sprayed it on this scrap panel, and it's definitely effective at deadening sound, I'll test it out on heat blocking shortly, I can make a gallon of this stuff for about 1/4 the cost of a gallon of LIzzardskin.

Rectangle Wood Road surface Asphalt Grey

My up pipes leaked like a sieve from the day I bought it, diesel guys love spending money, Full Force diesel sells stianless up pipes for 400 bucks without a collector, Ebay sells up pipes for 97 dollars with a collector.

These are nice looking pipes, thick tubing, should be great. I also ordered a exhaust backpressure valve delete pedestal to deal with the rest of the leaks there, I might mess with the turbo a bit, maybe not, I haven't decided yet. I always try to resist the urge to drag projects out "while I'm at it"

Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Bumper Automotive exterior Muffler

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Spent some time monkeying about with a DIY Lizzardskin sound and heat spray on insulation. This is just latex paint and 3m Microballoons, which according to the internet, and LIzzardskin MSDS, Lizzardskin is also.

Sprayed it on this scrap panel, and it's definitely effective at deadening sound, I'll test it out on heat blocking shortly, I can make a gallon of this stuff for about 1/4 the cost of a gallon of LIzzardskin.

View attachment 282103

My up pipes leaked like a sieve from the day I bought it, diesel guys love spending money, Full Force diesel sells stianless up pipes for 400 bucks without a collector, Ebay sells up pipes for 97 dollars with a collector.

These are nice looking pipes, thick tubing, should be great. I also ordered a exhaust backpressure valve delete pedestal to deal with the rest of the leaks there, I might mess with the turbo a bit, maybe not, I haven't decided yet. I always try to resist the urge to drag projects out "while I'm at it"

View attachment 282104
How thick does the coating go on? Looks like it should work.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
How thick does the coating go on? Looks like it should work.
The microballoons make it thick and pasty, it's like runny cement lol. This is three coats, I'll cut it and measure the thickness when I have time to go all Project Farm on it.

I'm mainly concerned it won't stay stuck, I'd hate to cover my firewall and floorboards with this stuff, and have it all peel in 3 years when I can't do anything about it lol. Lizzardskin doesn't seem to have that issue though, so it'll probably be fine. I coat everything with an oil/wax mix anyway, so almost anything should work.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
The microballoons make it thick and pasty, it's like runny cement lol. This is three coats, I'll cut it and measure the thickness when I have time to go all Project Farm on it.

I'm mainly concerned it won't stay stuck, I'd hate to cover my firewall and floorboards with this stuff, and have it all peel in 3 years when I can't do anything about it lol. Lizzardskin doesn't seem to have that issue though, so it'll probably be fine. I coat everything with an oil/wax mix anyway, so almost anything should work.
If you have concerns about it peeling off maybe try some sort of a bonding primer on the metal. I would think an oil or wax would prevent the product from bonding to the substrate.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,953 Posts
Curious what your oil/wax combo is. I have been using fluidfilm and woolwax for a while now with pretty good results.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Curious what your oil/wax combo is. I have been using fluidfilm and woolwax for a while now with pretty good results.
For this, and my 4runner, it's engine drain oil, whatever grease I have laying around, and toilet wax rings lol. I just heat it up in a pot and spray it on with an undercoating gun.

For my wife's Jeep, I use Woolwax, smells nicer, same result. I think Woolwax is lanolin and paraffin wax.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Latex paint? Interesting. I wonder if you could add the 3m stuff to good old rust oleum.
I don't see why not, that's what I was planning to do if it does anything at all for heat shielding for me.

Lizardskin is latex and sticks though, so idk, I'm not a paint scientist lol. The expensive part is the microballoons though, they're about 50 bucks a gallon, would yield you about 3 gallons of sprayable based on my little test. Going 1:1 like the internet says, was too thick for my Schutz gun to spray.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Scrubbed the firewall and floorboards today, then powerwashed it all, hopefully I can paint tomorrow, replace the up pipes, and get the cab set onto the frame this weekend.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Wood

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Building Gas

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
I'll probably never know... But I would like to know why my firewall and floor are this gray color lol, like all the paint just washed right off.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
That's my assumption, it's a red paint code cab... The red paint was coming right off with Awesome degreaser and a green scotchbrite though lol.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
I remember my uncle Duane had a brand new 1995 GMC with the famous GM paint/primer problems, and riding with him to the dealer in it with the paint coming down the windshield in the rain lol. I learned a lot of new swear words that day.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts