Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Project Antitube
1,213 Posts
I bet your neighbors talk about you just like my neighbors talk about me. You just need to have several dozen security cameras up and then they are either real friendly with you or won't make eye contact.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I bet your neighbors talk about you just like my neighbors talk about me. You just need to have several dozen security cameras up and then they are either real friendly with you or won't make eye contact.
I actually don't live there, so I have camera's lol. The people in the trailers next to me on either side rent from me. Old guy across the street thinks it's all hilarious. It's the subsidized housing cross-corner that I worry about most.

I didn't make great progress on this yesterday. As a matter of fact I spent hours screwing around with one body mount because I don't have acetylene for my torch to burn them out, or a thin sawzall blade to try to sneak in there and cut them. Ford swedged them together at the factory and they really suck to remove.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Vehicle brake Cloud

Plasma's are not the best for removing bolts and nuts without injury to yourself lol.

Today I'll probably remove the rear tank, get the sending units out of both, and needle scale the thing.

I have an excavator rented Tuesday, so hopefully I'll have water up there by next weekend to powerwash the rest. And be able to wash my hands, and stop peeing down the drain :D

Plant Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Wood

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Wood Plant

·
Registered
360 Posts
When talking about firewall
Insulation etc, look at lizard skin, I did the floors/inside cab of my wife’s old Chevy. Really sprays n nice, definitely quieted down the cab vs the original carpet pad an firewall insulation, plus it doesn’t wick an hold moisture if ya get it wet. I’m a firm believer in it.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I'll probably use lizard skin, or bedliner, I think they probably accomplish the same thing.

My wife has to work all weekend, and my shop has an appointment with an excavator tomorrow to get my water hooked up and the lean to area around the back graded.

So all I've really done here is dink around and try to figure out the sand blaster and whatnot.

Air hammer works way better than a needle scaler to remove flakes, and the blaster is amazing, but I don't think I'm adjusting it correctly, because it's eating media super fast.

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Grass Groundcover

·
Low Range Drifter
8,653 Posts
What tool are you using on the air hammer? I’ve never tried removing rust with one.

For big flat surfaces I like these, but they start coming apart when you hit rivets or other stuff.

I clean up with a wire wheel and a needle scaler for the nooks and crannies, but a good sand blaster looks like fun.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
What tool are you using on the air hammer? I’ve never tried removing rust with one.

For big flat surfaces I like these, but they start coming apart when you hit rivets or other stuff.

I clean up with a wire wheel and a needle scaler for the nooks and crannies, but a good sand blaster looks like fun.
The normal chisel thing. I just run it around loosely and all the big flakes fall off, then I sandblast the rest.

I spent 14 hours yesterday digging 6' through an underground forest of roots and my gas line... :eek: to get down to my water line.

So I now have unmetered water at the shop, which means I can work in the heat and not die, as well as wash my hands, and even run the ole powerwasher.

Tire Sky Wheel Land vehicle Car

Garden tool Grass Slope Geological phenomenon Blue-collar worker

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Power washer wouldn't start, so I took that in Saturday to have the carb cleaned or whatever it needs.

Transmission guy told me to just buy a unit from Oreily's, which I took to mean he doesn't want to rebuild it lol. I also do not want to rebuild it, but for 2000 bucks, I think I'll go ahead and rebuild it. I typically will punt things, like the powerwasher to someone else, so I can spend my time doing something more enjoyable, but I'm not paying 2k to be handed a trans with 4 hours of labor and 600 bucks in parts in it.

Yesterday I got the vin plate off the firewall, drained the front tank, and send the last of the cab to the local scrap rats. Whenever I get my powerwasher back I'll clean, blast, and paint the under cab section of the frame.

No idea when I'll get around to actually buying parts for this, I've kind of exhausted my budget for this particular project and most of my money will be going into my shop or 4runner for the summer.

The cab will by on by November though.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Grass Bumper

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Cutting trucks apart is pretty easy, putting them back together is harder lol.

It typically takes me about 18 months to go from purchase to driving in some kind of way.

Except my D100, which I purchased and then just haven't done anything with lol.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
You sure do get a lot of shit done! Are you and RBB related? :LOL:

At least cleanup is complete and now you can move onto something more fun.

Not related but judging from the yard a "brother from another mother"

I would give my left arm for a neighbor like him that I could have "Man Play Dates" with.

OH the shit we could tear up and build.

RBB

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Not related but judging from the yard a "brother from another mother"

I would give my left arm for a neighbor like him that I could have "Man Play Dates" with.

OH the shit we could tear up and build.

RBB
Yeah, all I ever get is people stopping by asking if I'm a mechanic (no, I don't want to fix your stupid 06 Malibu), if they can have scrap (that's treasure sir... Also, I have a trailer myself if I want to haul things in), or most annoyingly, shrewd folks who think they can flash 3 crispy hundred dollar bills and buy some of my treasures.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I thought I would like it more, but it's just another version of my C10 in a different wrapper. It's like owning a Mustang and a Camaro and trying to build both.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Yesterday I spent a few hours turning my cherry picker into a little tow behind crane for my Wheelhorse tractor, moved the trans and case around the back of the shop.

Still need to get this rear area graded and graveled so I can build my lean to this summer. Which means a lot of these trucks are taking a budgetary backseat this summer.
Plant Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Car

61 - 80 of 81 Posts