Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Wow, nice looking cab.
Nicer than the 2013 GMC my in laws have for yard work and Menards runs lol.

Just my personal preference, I have a welder, I know how to use it, but when I can buy a nicer cab than I'd ever make in a month of cutting, grinding, and welding for about the cost of the patch panels and a fun road trip, it's the way I'm going to go.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I stopped to let the dogs poop and wife wander a store in eastern Oklahoma and found 2 third gens, a 78 F-250, and a 68 C10 stepside all chilling in some undergrowth behind a crappy gas station lol.

Plant Wheel Plant community Tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I stopped to let the dogs poop and wife wander a store in eastern Oklahoma and found 2 third gens, a 78 F-250, and a 68 C10 stepside all chilling in some undergrowth behind a crappy gas station lol.

View attachment 281451
When the wife and I took a trip out west a few years back We stopped at a gas station on the way home. It was in north dakota while I was pumping gas I noticed across the street a farm house with a barn and from behind the small building next to the road I saw the nose of an old truck. I finished pumping gas and headed that way. I took a left out from the gas station and pulled in behind the barn only to see a field full of old cars and trucks. Probably 30 in all. I did eye ball a 50 chevy 3100. My wife asked me what I was doing and and I told her that with all these old cars and trucks something kas to be for sale. I went a knocked on the door and the old timer was originally from michigan and used to drive truck hauling cars from detroit to dealers in north dakota.
Long story short the chevy was for sale and I drove back a few weeks later and trailered it back home.
The great things you can find on the side roads around the country is awesome.
I'd like to have the money and time to travel out west and buy up old cars and trucks and bring them back here.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Yesterday I got the trailer moved around, finished up a gantry to lift the cabs from scrap wood, had a lunch from my favorite illegal BBQ.

Some of the HVAC connections are different, but it shouldn't be a problem since I have both of everything lol.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Sky Tire Cloud Car

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Everything removed from the original cab, and original cab removed from frame.

Next up, pick up all the trash that was in every single crack of the thing, pull tanks, lines, transmission and transfer case.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
looking forward to waking up early Saturday, dragging this junk 40 minutes each way to collect 80 bucks or some nonsense... Sigh... Should just drop it in front of the methadone clinic and let nature take it's course.
Tire Plant Vehicle Building Wheel

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

41 - 59 of 59 Posts