Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
261 - 280 of 280 Posts

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
I guess that's the whole thing.

I don't expect it to be perfect, but FFS I work in manufacturing and have for 15 years lol. We pay people 15 bucks an hour, any clown who can fog a mirror, and ship any out of spec stuff we think we can get away with. And that was true when I worked for Stellantis or Magna and even now at my lowly little tier 2.

It's usually fine, and if it isn't, I'll just redo it. No big deal to me.

· Whoop Whoop
17,321 Posts
I guess that's the whole thing.

I don't expect it to be perfect, but FFS I work in manufacturing and have for 15 years lol. We pay people 15 bucks an hour, any clown who can fog a mirror, and ship any out of spec stuff we think we can get away with. And that was true when I worked for Stellantis or Magna and even now at my lowly little tier 2.

It's usually fine, and if it isn't, I'll just redo it. No big deal to me.
Most bores were precise enough to require air gauging for plungers. Lots of super precise heidenhain gauges too. It will probably work as long as there is at least the minimum amount of clearance, but always curious about longevity. Fuel erosion is a thing.

· Whoop Whoop
17,321 Posts
Well wurst case scenario he is out 200 bucks and some time f-ing around with them best case he saved 1500 bucks to put somewhere else in the project. I don't see a problem with those odds.

RBB
I mean, I can play devils advocate there also. Too much play causing a lean condition, blowing out/burning up the nozzles, and potentially burning holes in pistons.

Live and learn though, it could be just fine for a long time.

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
All I'm saying, to anyone, is I don't see why they'd come out any worse than they started out.

Truck fired right up and ran tits with not one, but 2 holes rusted clean through the cylinder head, not the manifold, the head.

So... I expect it to fire right up and run even better with the same injectors, more fuel, and no rust holes lol.

Put 4 of them together last night, took me about 45 minutes for all 4, the off color one on the left with the different part number is my favorite one, I call that one squirty.

Gas Nickel Metal Auto part Household hardware

· Registered
374 Posts
I have a 84? F250 with a 6.9diesel I’ll be chopping up shortly and if I recall the front clip is in pretty nice shape, next time I’m back in the junkyard with a shovel I’ll clean it off and snag some pics for ya if you want

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
I have a 84? F250 with a 6.9diesel I’ll be chopping up shortly and if I recall the front clip is in pretty nice shape, next time I’m back in the junkyard with a shovel I’ll clean it off and snag some pics for ya if you want
That would be great, where are you located?

I also found a few in a crusty old junkyard today,

They're not open Saturdays so I'll have to figure out a day I want off work to go hang out, cool guys, said I can use the boom truck, whatever.

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
New body mounts came in, right now the cab is sitting on some 2x4 chunks lol.

Will probably not lock the cab down until I put the engine and trans back in though, but I can at least set it up correctly and dink around with the bumper and front clip and know where it's actually supposed to fit.

Orange Automotive tire Wood Gas Plastic

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Pulled all 8 apart last night, mostly followed the method here, Stock Injector Rebuild - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Found that easier than dropping stuff inside with tweezers lol.

Again, the Orings, check balls, and springs came from, truckrental on eBay

Everything laid out.

Built them up by stacking everything backwards on the body.

When they say you can't put them together wrong, this is what they mean, there's two holes all the way through for pins. One short set of pins goes closest to the nozzle, the two longer pins go further back, the pins are offset, so if you put any component in wrong, it won't line up. You could flip this one upside down though, so make sure it's as shown, the cover goes on "top".

Ready to drop the body over this, I just kind of balanced everything on my finger and lower the body, then flipped it.

Plunger and spring goes in next,

This was the only part where I had difficulty, intensifier piston O-ring.

The groove it fits in is deeper than it appears. If you can squish the front part into it as you're pushing it down, the rest will follow, you can work it around.

Pushing it past and trying to pull it up never worked for me. Had to get the front edge in first.

Looks like this done, then pop the intensifier piston in,

At this point you're ready to put the upper half back on. The pins in the upper need to line up with the pins in the lower. There's an O-ring on the upper to replace, comes in the kit I got from Truck_rental on Ebay.

Lifting up on the nozzle a bit while rotating the upper until a thread caught worked well for me.

Used special tool to torque upper down
:)

My truck ran, and started fine when I started this, 14 degrees, not plugged in, two holes in the cylinder head, one glow plug cycle and it would light off no problem... So I checked the clearances, but I wasn't really worried about shimming anything and saw little need to do so

I never had worse than a tight .004 clearance.

And that's it, took me about 50 minutes to do all 8, surprisingly easy project for a Friday night in the shop.

Mine are going to sit on the shelf for the next 8 months while I finish the rest of my truck lol, but hopefully the pics and information help someone. Don't be discouraged, it's a totally doable project for a gu with mechanical sense.

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
Not a huge deal, spent most of the weekend collecting used oil and changing the wheel bearing on my Ram, but I did manage to drop the upper body mounts under the cab. Back ones were kind of a pain because I had to keep climbing in to look, then climbing out to move the cab, rinse, repeat lol.

Still, mostly empty cab made it pretty easy.

Wood Rolling stock Rolling Asphalt Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bumper Automotive exterior

Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

· Registered
374 Posts
Nice work a write up. Too many people are scared to tackle things like that! Most things are rebuildable with good mechanical know-how an a “I can figure it out” attitude.

I checked out that ford, the fenders are junk, only thing good was grill/trim
Etc. I’m just outside Marquette in the UP, pretty sure the junkyard ya posted pics is closer lol

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
I just found a functioning ZF5 from a wrecked 96 F-250 on car-part.com, 600 bucks cash. Going to pick that up Friday.

Engine is up on the stand to do the oil pan and dipstick. Just going to strip this pan, zinc coat, then top coat it with powder.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Wood

· Registered
374 Posts
Not sure the interchangeability of some of the parts, but that 6.9 f250 I got is a stick truck if ya need pedals/bellhousing/ whatever misc swap parts. I can ship otherwise I’m thinking about making a run towards frankenmuth or traverse city end of march

261 - 280 of 280 Posts