Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
241 - 260 of 280 Posts

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Pulled the injectors last night from the drivers side.

One had RTV on it for some reason lol.

One is also clearly a replacement, the top piece is a drastically different color than the rest. It also has some writing on it I can't make out. The part number is different as well. Still an AA code prefix though.

I plan to measure the intensifier pistons against one another, and the new ones against one another, just to see how close they are stock.

I purchased 29.7mm intensifier pistons from Interstate McBee to make a 160/0 single shot. They were 20 bucks a piece, with shipping came to like 198.00
Drinkware Automotive tire Camera lens Automotive lighting Lens

Wood Floor Flooring Gas Audio equipment

Wood Tool Bullet Gun accessory Metal

· Registered
612 Posts
You gonna drill and tap manifold for egt ? With a larger injector and no intercooler it’s cheap insurance and easy to do now, You gonna replace the cups since you have injectors out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
The manifold is drilled and tapped.

I'm not replacing any cups.

I'm only taking these 4 apart to compare the stock intensifier pistons to the AC code replacements, and to compare all them to the passengers side ones I cut down awhile back, because it amuses me to see "injector builders" who were ten years ago posting in DIY injector threads, now telling people they can't possibly make their own injector.

The passengers side are already cut and re-installed. Once I finally found the parts and saw they're only 20 bucks to buy, I wish I'd done that to start with.

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Most of you probably don't know, but the 94.5-97 Powerstroke trucks got a different, deeper core support than any IDI or gasser.

A lot of parts houses will list the others as compatible, but they're not the same, my radiator is like 8" taller than the others.

So LMC carries them for 350, plus 220 shipping...So I've been hunting for someone who changed directions on their build, abandoned it, etc etc, and I found Jeff's Bronco Graveyard carries them, and I can pick it up in Brighton, which is about 90 minutes for me, to save 220 bucks.

Further, they had a damaged one for half off! 175 bucks, and I was seriously considering patching my original one together with the plasma table lol.

Merry Christmas to me! Hahaha
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Injector builders are the Ford-Trucks forum are super mad I'm building my own injectors, it'll never work, blah blah blah. Hilarious.

Went down and picked up my core support yesterday, it's actually the correct one, I was concerned it might wind up being a gas version after a 90 minute ride, will try to get this powder coated this weekend.

Snow Automotive tire Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

· Registered
612 Posts
You’re playing with fire but I’m sure you know that, those injectors are finicky. Hope one doesn’t stick or dump too much fuel and burn a hole or melt a piston. Good luck lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Took a field trip to Ft Wayne today and grabbed a 80-86 style grille and all the bits and bobs to go with it.

Will still need fenders, hood, cowl cover, and to modify my core support for the headlight buckets of the earlier truck.

Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

· In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,369 Posts
love you are doing your own injectors. I remember back when you could order a set of DIY injectors for cheap.... I didn't have the money so I was unable to. Now the truck just rusts away in my backyard lol.

Was always fun trying to buy 97 f350 stuff.

People just rather drop money for a set of professionally rebuilt injectors. I see no reason why yours will not work. It appears you know what you are doing and taking your time. Once they see them working, they will be asking you to make them some.

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
love you are doing your own injectors. I remember back when you could order a set of DIY injectors for cheap.... I didn't have the money so I was unable to. Now the truck just rusts away in my backyard lol.

Was always fun trying to buy 97 f350 stuff.

People just rather drop money for a set of professionally rebuilt injectors. I see no reason why yours will not work. It appears you know what you are doing and taking your time. Once they see them working, they will be asking you to make them some.

There's a lot of, "well if you want it to run right" and "for my peace of mind" and "you don't know what the professionals know"

And not so much acknowledgement that I actually have both parts in my hands to see the differences lol.

And no explanation as to why taking a functioning injector apart, replacing the O-rings, and one part with a different part that's also a factory part, will cause the moon to fall from the sky...

People like to justify the money they've spent, and people selling shit get threatened when someone comes along and shows folks how.

Anyway, from left to right, is a 29.1mm 180CC intensifier piston, 29.7mm 160cc intensifier piston I machined myself, 29.7mm 160cc intensifier piston I bought from Interstate McBee, and the stock 90cc AA code intensifier piston.

Drinkware Tableware Gas Liquid Cylinder

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Scored a Ranch Hand bumper today for 300 bucks.

Idk what the original application was, it's been cut on a bit, bit it'll serve my purposes once I cut and flip the brackets and re-powder coat it.

My new core support will need more modification than I thought to fit the bullnose headlight buckets, I'll keep my eyes open in the yard for one I can cut up. I found a whole front clip in Akron, but I really don't feel like doing that kind of round trip for something I don't exactly need at the moment.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

· I'll Direc your TV
9,436 Posts
There's a lot of, "well if you want it to run right" and "for my peace of mind" and "you don't know what the professionals know"

And not so much acknowledgement that I actually have both parts in my hands to see the differences lol.

And no explanation as to why taking a functioning injector apart, replacing the O-rings, and one part with a different part that's also a factory part, will cause the moon to fall from the sky...

People like to justify the money they've spent, and people selling shit get threatened when someone comes along and shows folks how.

Anyway, from left to right, is a 29.1mm 180CC intensifier piston, 29.7mm 160cc intensifier piston I machined myself, 29.7mm 160cc intensifier piston I bought from Interstate McBee, and the stock 90cc AA code intensifier piston.
Makes me happy to see when people cry "for my peace of mind" and "you don't know what the pro's do".....couple things come to mind: A) You think the pro's started out knowing it right off the bat? and B) My piece of mind is knowing who to blame if something f's up; least I know the guy lol

As for the injectors, I'd never attempt it mainly because I have no idea what you just said right there about intensifier pistons. I didn't even know a piston was in an injector. My diesel knowledge amounts to...put diesel in, change filters and fluids...run...repeat.

• Love
Reactions: Jrgunn5150

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Makes me happy to see when people cry "for my peace of mind" and "you don't know what the pro's do".....couple things come to mind: A) You think the pro's started out knowing it right off the bat? and B) My piece of mind is knowing who to blame if something f's up; least I know the guy lol

As for the injectors, I'd never attempt it mainly because I have no idea what you just said right there about intensifier pistons. I didn't even know a piston was in an injector. My diesel knowledge amounts to...put diesel in, change filters and fluids...run...repeat.
That's my attitude as well.

If you learned to do it, I can. If I can, you can.

Now, if they were to say, "well you can't because you don't have anyway to properly adjust the __ inside" then they might have something. I'd be like, well what do I need, and they could be like, the Adjuster 9000!!! It's 10 billion dollars... Then, I'd do more research and be like, well, no way around the Adjuster 9000, guess I'll just pay...

This guy, who sells injectors... Telling me I don't know what I don't know and it'll work unless I expect it to work, then it won't work, because I don't know the unknowable know...

I reject this kind of shit, this is just fearmongering and gate keeping so no one but him builds the injectors.
Font Circle Number Document Rectangle

· Whoop Whoop
17,321 Posts
The main thing with diesel injectors is not getting shit in them, and having the pop rate and flow rate match and be the desired amount. I don't know much about the powerstroke injectors, but I've had my fair share of experience with Bosch Reman, and the tolerance stackup and bore fits makes it something not recommended for your average home gamer. Not trying to stop you because I agree with you. Your average injector rebuilder probably has very little idea on what he was doing when he started, and might still not know what he is doing now versus how it was made in the OEM.

241 - 260 of 280 Posts