Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
221 - 240 of 280 Posts

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Hard to see, annoying that it get's dark at noon now, but last evening I went and picked up a set of 17" Super Duty wheels so I can get this thing back onto the ground hopefully.

I still have no track bar or drag link though lol.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
I just saw a guy on Youtube who used Super Duty axles, a 2" spacer and wound up with a 5" block in the rear. So my guess of at least 4" was close.

I'm going to be using longer 08-up Super Duty rear springs, because they should ride nicer. Planning on doing a shackle flip at the same time, and that's where I'll make up most of the height difference to the rear.

I bought these for the wheels, I'll powder coat them in the summer when it's all back together, but the 285's look clown shoes even without fenders lol.

I have the axle set at what Ford lists the spring installed height at, 14.7", so it will likely chnge one way or the other in reality when I get springs on it and the weight of the 7.3

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Ran out during lunch yesterday and cut the shocks and sway bar links off my junkyard donor to snag a set of coils. Local walk in and they hand you a part style yard wanted 100 per coil, Rockauto has them at like 180 a piece... Plus isolators.... Self serve, 10 bucks a piece lol. I'm willing to push the stupid gantry 1/4 mile in the 30 mph wind gusts to save 200 bucks.

Still need to rob that thing of the track bar and drag link. I'm not certain the track bar will work, but probably better to have and not need...

I'll try to get these powdercoated Sunday.

Automotive tire Tread Wood Synthetic rubber Gas

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
I've been on and off the fence about injectors.

Me paying 1400-2000 for injectors for a work truck is simply out of the question altogether.

But I've done a bunch of digging and reading, through some very old posts, and this is what I've come up with, and I suspect some of the current injector builders read some of the same old Powerstroke Army posts lol.

Anywho, before I was an engineer, I was a journeyman machinist for years. And it just so happens, I still have access to a bunch of surface grinders. Why does that matter?

An AA code 7.3 (stock OBS) injector flows 90cc and uses a 6.0mm plunger, prime barrel, and a 32mm long intensifier piston...

An AC code is identical except the intensifier piston is 29.7mm long and flows 160cc

From this, we can infer that 2.5mm in intensifier piston height = 70cc of flow...

From that we learn that .0357mm off the intensifier piston will give 1cc of flow.

Every 10cc needs .357mm taken off the intensifier piston...

So a 90cc AA code 32mm piston needs to go down to 29mm to make a 180cc single shot 7.3 injector. Or 29.7 for a 160cc injector.

Further, oversized nozzles come from Redat, PN ARF0AA, there's a -, followed by a number, so like, ARF0AA-100 would be a set of 100% nozzles, ARF0AA-80 would be 80's, etc etc. These are available in the states pretty affordably from Bitteroot Diesel.

I said all that, to say my intention is to build a set of 180/30 injectors over the holidays 😁 And leave the information for anyone else interested in the future.

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Man this thing is coming along!
Lucky there's no snow yet. I hope it holds out for you
Snow or not, I'm done with the outside portion for the year, I can't handle hours and hours in the cold like I used to.

I'll be doing the injectors, oil pan, and transmission rebuild inside the shop over the winter, along with my other project stuff.

I also need to build a real powder coating booth to spray in, and make some improvements to my oven.

· Registered
939 Posts
Snow or not, I'm done with the outside portion for the year, I can't handle hours and hours in the cold like I used to.

I'll be doing the injectors, oil pan, and transmission rebuild inside the shop over the winter, along with my other project stuff.

I also need to build a real powder coating booth to spray in, and make some improvements to my oven.
Hey, it's Michigan. It's bound to get warm enough to work outside soon enough!

· Registered
10,413 Posts
I thought I'd just grab coils from Marketplace from someone who did a lift, but no one seems to be selling them.

That's ok though, because today when looking for a new head for my Toyota, I found this 11 Super Duty that will donate it's coils, shocks, rear leafs, track bar, and track bar bracket. View attachment 282844
This is a win for sure

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Planning on a trip to Florida in 3 weeks to visit family and either pick up a parts truck or parts.

I'd like to put the 80-86 style front clip on it, but hardly the most important thing in the world to me at this point. It seems Florida is filled to the brim with these trucks though lol, there's dozens in the junkyards and on Marketplace for under 1k.

· Registered
10,413 Posts
Planning on a trip to Florida in 3 weeks to visit family and either pick up a parts truck or parts.

I'd like to put the 80-86 style front clip on it, but hardly the most important thing in the world to me at this point. It seems Florida is filled to the brim with these trucks though lol, there's dozens in the junkyards and on Marketplace for under 1k.
Where abouts you going to in Florida?

221 - 240 of 280 Posts