Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
201 - 220 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Cranked out a V 1.0 coil/coilover tower, I'll cut this out of some super cheaper 22 ga and try it out on the truck to see what need's to change or stay the same.

Am going 05+ up axle, maybe or maybe not on the coilovers.
Rectangle Slope Handwriting Triangle Font

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Sucks that it get's dark at like noon now, but I have a solution for that.

Got the front of the frame in primer last night, I'll be going with regular Super Duty coils and saving 1500 bucks on coilovers for now, I can always swap later, but probably won't need or want to.

Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Asphalt

·
Registered
10,299 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Over the weekend, got the coil buckets mocked up, drug the 2008 axle over to the truck.

Axle is the heaviest one I've ever moved around, good grief it sucks lol.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

The 2008 coil buckets I have, have this little bump on the back of them, probably to index them to the frame on the line for assembly, 05-07 buckets do not have this feature.

You can cut it out, or grind it off and weld a washer in, or, since the OBS frame is 1" narrower than the SD frame, I think I'll just cut 1/2 spacers on the CNC and stitch weld them to the buckets.

I need to pick up some 1/2 steel for that and 1/4 steel to make the radius arm mounts. The coil buckets were 68 bucks a piece at Varsity Ford, but radius arm mounts are 160 each, so I'll spend the time making some that actually bolt on lol.

Once I have mounts made, the plan is to bolt the arms up, center the axle, lift it to imaginary ride height, then drill for coil buckets. The coil buckets did require some trimming on the bottom too.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Yep, it's a Langmuir Crossfire Pro.

Got the coil bucket spacers on, frame drilled, buckets mounted, and radius arm mounts made up.

With this, I can at least sort of mount the axle while I deal with the trackbar and decide what springs I want to run.

There's a local who parts out Super Duty's, hopefully he has about a billion stock front springs sitting around I can get on the cheap, but it seems his deal is selling to dealerships and repair shops burning insurance money. I've reached out a few times about brackets and whatnot and he's just not into not selling anything for less than a billion dollars. We'll see though .

Hood Ingredient Wood Cuisine Automotive exterior

Snow Building Motor vehicle World Freezing

Tire Land vehicle Snow Car Vehicle

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Bullet Bag

·
Gustafson
10,791 Posts
Welding clean dry steel inside sitting at a bench is pretty easy lol.
Well, you'd be surprised at the garbage welds I see out of our "fab" department.... So either way, they look good to me.... :LOL:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
I thought I'd just grab coils from Marketplace from someone who did a lift, but no one seems to be selling them.

That's ok though, because today when looking for a new head for my Toyota, I found this 11 Super Duty that will donate it's coils, shocks, rear leafs, track bar, and track bar bracket.
Snow Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Axle installed and set at ride height.

Looks like the rear will have to go up 4"

Did not pull the springs from the Super Duty because the yard left it sitting on the radius arms and I didn't feel like pulling the gantry over after 5 hours of fighting an OM617 head
Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Window

Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle Plant Tree

201 - 220 of 224 Posts