Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back I stumbled across this F250, I like that it's a "real" truck, longbed, 4x4, diesel.

It was pretty cheap, only has 185,000 miles on it, starts easily, runs well other than an exhaust leak..

Downside is it only has reverse, and it's rusty AF.

Like, punt the entire body kind of rusty.

Guy who owned it, pretty sure he kept every piece of trash he every brought into the truck since 1997, in the truck.

So I haven't really decided if I want to throw a few thousand at it and have a decent, simple work/camping truck... Or just pull the engine and collect my money and be done with it.

Cabs are easy enough to find and cheap enough to buy, I just don't know that I feel like doing another "build" with my 4runner, C10, D100, and entire shop and powder coating also going on.

But if I do decide to build it, I'll share it here.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I say build it. There's a lot of life left in that power stroke.
That's the plan now, I think it's worth the time and effort.

We found a number of clean cabs in OK/AR/MS in the 350-500 range, so that's the way we're going to go. Ass3uming I can get one of these yards to work with me, we're planning to head down the weekend of the 9th and get something.

I spent most of the lovely day yesterday tearing apart my air compressor, which I need for the plasma table, powder coat gun, sandblaster... Whole shop runs on air lol. Thing would run for awhile, then bog down, then belt squeal then take off like a bat out of hell, in no particular order. So I have a new unloader valve coming for that, as well as a belt, hopefully that sets it up for another 8 years of service.

On the truck front, the bed was full of garbage, same as the cab, and had 2 bedliners in it, one behind, and one in front of the tool box, which also had those sporty little rub bars screwed to it lol. Took the remainder of the afternoon to get all that stripped. 2 bedliners and still has gaping holes in it lol.

I have a lot of misc scrap around from my CNC plasma, and other projects, so I'd like to get the Ford bed onto my trailer, then heap all my little BS scrap into it until it's actually worth hauling in.

Everything is unhooked now, just have to pull the trailer around and winch it on there.

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cut the bolt heads off and tossed the bed aside today, middle bolts weren't doing anything anyway lol.

Rearmost crossmember is pretty roached and might get replaced, we'll see.

Wheel Tire Sky Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Tire Wheel

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know a guy who used to have a rust free bed if ur interested I can see if he still has it. Think he wanted around 500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm planning to go back with a flatbed, but thank you!

I think everyone knows it's currently cold AF out, yesterday I flipped the bed, propped it up on some pallets, and loaded with all the scrap that was on my trailer, so the trailer is free for my trip to pick up a new cab next week. I'm hoping to be able to just drag it onto the trailer with my winch when I want to scrap it.

Free dump day in my town is in about a month, so the remainder will go then.

Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, a lot of people are like why don't you patch it, they make patch panels, blah blah...

For me... I'd rather just drive for a day, buy a rust free one, and have a nice road trip with my family than stand on my head for 4 day's breathing in grinder dust and burning myself lol.

It also gives me an opportunity to change the manifolds and u-pipes, makes it super easy to get the transmission out, etc etc.

I'm also the kind of guy who pulls a front clip to do an engine swap also though, it's more work, but it's easier work

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,969 Posts
Yeah, a lot of people are like why don't you patch it, they make patch panels, blah blah...

For me... I'd rather just drive for a day, buy a rust free one, and have a nice road trip with my family than stand on my head for 4 day's breathing in grinder dust and burning myself lol.

It also gives me an opportunity to change the manifolds and u-pipes, makes it super easy to get the transmission out, etc etc.

I'm also the kind of guy who pulls a front clip to do an engine swap also though, it's more work, but it's easier work
Wanna do a cab swap on a 2011 dodge diesel? Paying job....

1 - 20 of 183 Posts