Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Haven't had a chance to get many more pics, but these little teasers were sent to me a bit ago. The donor frame was wire wheeled and cleaned up, then painted with TSC implement paint. Looks a million times better than the frame on my truck.

The truck should be done with the frame swap today or tomorrow. I'll take some more pics when I bring it back home. I still have to put my bed back on; bolt up the rear bumper, and put on some new tires. Got all new body mounts, body mount bolts (2 of the ones in the truck were broken from when I put in the body lift on the cab), fuel lines, brake lines, and fuel filter.

I picked up another set of 315/70-17 BFGs to swap out the junk ones on my truck now. Gotta figure out of muffler and exhaust pipes, and hopefully get some new shocks. Gonna stick with the monroe coilovers for the rear, and thinking maybe KYB for the front. It's not a wheeler, but I plan to actually use it as a truck.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got my truck back yesterday. Very happy with it. Some small problems, but I wanted a backyard auto guy cause it's cheaper than "professional", so I get what I pay for.

Need to go trhough and completely redo the wiring for my efans...not sure if he really didn't know how a relay works or if he was just done with the project and said "f-it". The two relays were wires all back-asswords, one was wired to itself, one was wired to all power, the third was wired to one of the other relays....yep. Took me a minute to remember how I had it wired. Originally I had two relays for the fans, cause I wanted them to come on separately at different temps. Well what I ended up doing was wiring one fan to come on with the a/c compressor, in doing that I had to add a third relay. The original efan relays are activated by ground, the temp prob connects to ground to turn the fans on; well the a/c compressor is activated by power wire, since it's grounded through the mounts. So I needed to add the third relay to connect to ground when activated, in order to ground and activate the fan relay.

So far, only a few issues, pretty sure he left the battery on a manual charger all day, because when I got to the guy's house, my battery was literally boiling, I was pretty sure it was going to explode...it didn't lol.

Either way, the hard part is done. Got exhaust coming tomorrow, cause only cats and no muffler or tailpipe is just irritating and horrible sounding. Gotta get the bed back on, get a new battery, redo the wiring for my 4x4 (was thermo actuator, switched to electric but half asses the wiring so it kept corroding or melting on the exhaust), get the new tires put on, and maybe (if money allows) get the wheels powder coated.

Any suggestions on wheel color?

The body is still all fawked...but that's probably a battle for another day :sonicjay:

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nope, the red truck is my truck. It's how it looks right now. I took the bed off and a few other things to save myself some money

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hmmm... Ok. For some reason I thought you had a red / maroon truck that you were looking to sell at one point or something like that. My bad.
I did, I had a 96 truck that looked very similar to this one; that was had a junk motor.

That was a recent for sale thread, I considered keeping that truck for the frame, but glad I didn't. made a couple bucks on it, and the frame I ended up with I made profit money selling parts from the truck and still kept the frame too. As you can see though, I have a lot of body work on this truck lol.

But I made the decision a while ago that I want to keep this truck, so that's why i'm putting work into it. It's still cheaper than buying a new or new used truck, plus I have this truck the way I want it.

·
Gustafson
9,038 Posts
I did, I had a 96 truck that looked very similar to this one; that was had a junk motor.

That was a recent for sale thread, I considered keeping that truck for the frame, but glad I didn't. made a couple bucks on it, and the frame I ended up with I made profit money selling parts from the truck and still kept the frame too. As you can see though, I have a lot of body work on this truck lol.

But I made the decision a while ago that I want to keep this truck, so that's why i'm putting work into it. It's still cheaper than buying a new or new used truck, plus I have this truck the way I want it.
:thumb: Nothing wrong with that! I'm sure this one has sentimental value as well.

I plan to the do the same with my Sierra as it ages. I like it, so I'll keep it, even if I need to do rust repair, trans replacement, motor swap, etc.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
:thumb: Nothing wrong with that! I'm sure this one has sentimental value as well.

I plan to the do the same with my Sierra as it ages. I like it, so I'll keep it, even if I need to do rust repair, trans replacement, motor swap, etc.
The sentimental value is basicially 95% of the reason why i'm doing work and paying for work on this truck. I've had it 11 years, and it's the first vehicle i've bought and paid for myself. It has a lot of little things i've done over the years that don't add much value, but make it more "mine".

·
Gustafson
9,038 Posts
The sentimental value is basicially 95% of the reason why i'm doing work and paying for work on this truck. I've had it 11 years, and it's the first vehicle i've bought and paid for myself. It has a lot of little things i've done over the years that don't add much value, but make it more "mine".
I understand. I look forward to seeing more progress in your build (rebuild :teehee: ) thread.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Did a few small things on the truck over the weekend. Since I made this a build thread now, I need to take more and better pictures :sonicjay:

Got all the wiring figured out for my Efans, and I actually made it a better setup, most notably now the fans are on ignition power so they wont stay on when the truck is off. Got the bed on, and started to bolt it up. Body lifts suck, cause I don't remember which lift block goes where on the bed. Now that the frame is all nice and purdy, the body is just that much more rusted. Oh well, it's a project I suppose.

Got the new intermediate pipe and muffler on, since the previous muffler fell off on the way to get the frame swapped. Only slightly rusted. Now my issue is that the flange where the cats connect to the pipes, leaks even with the right gasket, and the bolts tight. The shop that replaced the cats had two gaskets on there, I thought they were just lazy, but apparently they're smarter than me, cause it didn't leak before with 2 gaskets. Need to order another one and throw it on there. Then get some tail pipes made up. Had a set of tips in my tool box that i've had for who knows how many years.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Wheels are going to get powder coated before I get the tires put on. I'm thinking I really like Bronze with black accents?

Something different that I haven't seen.

·
Axle breakin' 101
3,119 Posts
Did i miss it or are you planning on replacing the body also? Seems like a lot of work to go through to put a clapped out body back on it, even if its sentimental to you.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Did i miss it or are you planning on replacing the body also? Seems like a lot of work to go through to put a clapped out body back on it, even if its sentimental to you.
Body work is in the books too.

I was actually thinking that as well when I was putting the bed back on. everything but the body is all done, nice, painted, new...etc, and a rusted out body. I don't remember it being that bad when I parked the truck, but I suppose just sitting will do that.

The sad thing is, the wheel wells are still nice and solid; just cab corners and rocker panels are completely gone vs. somewhat gone. It's definitely gotten worse in the last year. The bed I could have gotten away with fixing a few spots, but I think it'll be better off replacing it now. Even with the rust it'll still clean up very nice, and the paint itself still has a good shine to it. Take the pictures with a grain of salt, as they are not the greatest and that was literally just after I set the bed on, it's not aligned or bolted on yet.

For now though, I suppose i'd rather have a solid frame and good brake/fuel lines with a rusted body, than a clean body and rotted out frame.

·
Gustafson
9,038 Posts
Body work is in the books too.

I was actually thinking that as well when I was putting the bed back on. everything but the body is all done, nice, painted, new...etc, and a rusted out body. I don't remember it being that bad when I parked the truck, but I suppose just sitting will do that.

The sad thing is, the wheel wells are still nice and solid; just cab corners and rocker panels are completely gone vs. somewhat gone. It's definitely gotten worse in the last year. The bed I could have gotten away with fixing a few spots, but I think it'll be better off replacing it now. Even with the rust it'll still clean up very nice, and the paint itself still has a good shine to it. Take the pictures with a grain of salt, as they are not the greatest and that was literally just after I set the bed on, it's not aligned or bolted on yet.

For now though, I suppose i'd rather have a solid frame and good brake/fuel lines with a rusted body, than a clean body and rotted out frame.
Well yeah. combo A = safe, the other does not...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts