Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,448 Posts
well you've hit on something I know all to well. my buddy had a 400 that would do what yours is every year about hunting season. anyways if you are not seeing any engagement then you have to see if the shaft going to the wheels are turning. they normally are. the fact yours has magnetic hubs and reaction discs is the normal problem. they thrust washers that ride againest the inside of the hubs wear and so do the face of the magnets with is the bottom half of the strut. I have had to replace them before for grooves worn in them by the reaction disc. the other plroblem is the hub clutch. it rides on the spindle inside the hub and is held in with guts of the hub assem. if by chance its worn so bad as to open up the inside of the hub it will cause slipage at the wheel. the biggest thing people don't realize is the hubs have to disengage then re engage when switching from forward to reverse. if you under power and stuck you will almost always smoke a hubs clutch. I suggest jacking up the machine and see which wheels turn when the gas is applied. make sure the axles turn to the front hubs and then see if you can hold tire and if it happens to move on one side and not the other. if it picks up the other side your good. the other thing to do is use a test light to make sure you have power to the magnets in the struts. I would do that first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.