Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently did a head gasket got it all back together, start it up and it idles like crazy lol
way too high its the 2.8 multi port fuel injected any ideas?

·
Get Some
4,226 Posts
spray carb cleaner around the intake, if the idle changes you found the leak. Check all the vacuum lines as well

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
if you used RTV for the lower to the heads you have a serious fail underway. the gasket has ridges to make up the gaps which are like 1/8" thick. I have done tons of them and they suck to do. but they are tricky with the two sizes of pushrods from intake to exhaust. as for the uppers if you still have them they could be reused.

oh by the way, if you have any RTV in the system that goes into the combustion chambers , as it burn it takes out your O2 sensor...have fun.

·
Chillin with the top off.
4,891 Posts
if you used RTV for the lower to the heads you have a serious fail underway. the gasket has ridges to make up the gaps which are like 1/8" thick. I have done tons of them and they suck to do. but they are tricky with the two sizes of pushrods from intake to exhaust. as for the uppers if you still have them they could be reused.

oh by the way, if you have any RTV in the system that goes into the combustion chambers , as it burn it takes out your O2 sensor...have fun.

I believe the old flattops had the same sized push rods. It was the newer style 3.1 that have the different lenght ones. But anyway it sounds like you did not get the pcv valve hose on the back correctly.. Done it before.. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts