Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well, back before fall, i got this truck from 1badzuk.

Done so far:
swapped in 1.6 (currently running on 2 cylinders, needs timing/plugs/wires)
SPOA
Props to m wife for helping me drop the motor/tranny in with some rope and a comealong lol

future:

super secret paint job and graphics

who knows. likely toyotas and gears in the axles. trying to decide if i want to save my money for axles and 4 link, or spend what i have now for power steering, and maybe some trackick 3rds for some gearing and run what i got.

·
Registered
629 Posts
all depends what you are trying to achieve. what are your goals, and intended uses?
x2 - tire size ? dd ?

looks like a pretty clean truck :thumb:

toys on a zuk are like tons on a jeep. you cant go wrong, and you can build'em as you go.

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i used to wheel with brian and daryl when i got into the sport. well, they have kept flying high, and i have been in and out due to school. if i ever want to hang w/ the big boys i am thinking 33's minimum, and would like to be able to cruize it to the beach in the summer (wife really likes that idea too).

kinda one of my thoughts for goals is:

yota axles, hi-steer, 5.29's, 6.5 t-case, propane for the 1.6, 33-36" swampers, yota IFS hydro assist, 4 link with tj coils cut down a little bit, comp cut rear, with some kind of fender (tube), cage, and as much front fender as i can keep to keep it full body 'stock'.

(

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, it's amazing how it all comes full circle. got the jeep DD, then zuk trail rig, then toyota, then CJ, now back to zuk with toy parts haha

now we just need to see kerwin with a jeep and mad style 33's with sweet bling

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well update = got axles from VonDirt, 85 yota axles. Am currently sourcing some brake parts, and am re-building the hubs. Mostly prep work for now... i.e. cutting off bracketry etc because i am hoping to do 4 link with bushings all around (read-on the cheap).

Currently am still working on getting the motor running smoothly so that i know if i should actually continue on with stuff or if i am going to have to do more work on the motor first.

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, nothing has come of the yota axles yet, they are being stored till i have $$.

here are pics after the SPOA that i took today after i pushed it out to clean the garage.

motor is running better, but i think a big culprit is bad gas, gunna throw some good gas in and work on it this week

thx to the super secret spy fab shop for helpin me out with weldin perches and the trusses!!!
i know i gotta get paint on the rear axle

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, took off the fenders today, and am going to cut away all of the rust that is present (alot!!) after that time, i will decide what it is that i will be doing for fenders etc. likely will steal some ideas from the toyota/zuki buildup on here (cruiser). i cut rockers to just below the doors to allow for room for some sliders in the future.

ill post pics of what is left of the body tomorrow

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got a buncha rust cut out. i must say air chisel > 4"grinder, opened 'er up like a can of ham.

now i have to figure out what i want to do for inner fender's and general front/rear. you can see a spraypainted line that was one of my ideas for rear fender cut

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
amazingly, after i did the head gasket initially, it ran terribly. smoked like crazy, was stumbling all over itself.

after those new fluids sat for a week or so, apparently some magic happened, because now it is running w/o any smoke, and is much smoother on idle. i am still not convinced it is running 100%, and have to do a compression test, but it is more promising than previously thought

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Looks good Adam. Just my .02, but I wouldn't comp cut it until you are ready to link it and stretch the rear. Otherwise it just looks goofy. Even then, I might lean more toward a cut like whiterhino's. Just open up the stock wheel well toward the back.

But, I'm partial to factory lines, until you get really wild with it.

Keep it up.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
that thing has come along way since stock in my yard iny info on odd hubs on that?

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i am not sure what those are, i think they are a tracker thing. 'auto locking hubs'

i don't know if they are crap or gold for tracker peoples, but they will be sold with the axles whenever that is... lol. i assume they work, but i only have 1 driveshaft in, so i guess i will find out down the road.

Thrill: i agree with you on body lines, however, things have to come in stages, and i will not be doing the link for a bit (till fall at least). but i want to get some body work done in the meantime.

the goal will to keep a full bodied look, with the availability of 90* approach/departures when i link it

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
as far as i know tracker ones wont fit sammys, so i wonder if they are uber rare sammy ones???? looks good needs toys with coils

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

here are some ideas for 'tube fenders' i stole a concept from cruiserjg as seen below.

basically using sheet metal to extend body out 1-2" to meet the tube. i may use bolts or rivets to attach to tabs welded to the tube, so that the body is still removable someday

everything below the lines will be cut away from fenders. my goal is to keep some stockish lines, and the transition from front fender to grill 'halo' is going to be a funky S shaped bend, so i don't know what i can keep in that idea (it is clear in MY head at least).

what do you think? stinger is going to be tall enough to be functional in rollover to hopefully save my hood/engine (don't want to pull a shawn) or remove stinget and make grill portion larger instead of only encompassing grille, make it taller to protect hood as well

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
didn't get to cutting body today, but was workin on my axles and got myself some gifts today.

sky hi-steer with both steering rods, and an IFS box, 2 rollers, and the rest of the powersteering stuff off of the yota from 1badzuk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts